For Honor Guide: Valkyrie Info and Tips
The Valkyrie is a Hybrid and complex character in For Honor. This viking member uses a spear and shield -- and is deadly with both. She uses the features of both a heavy and assassin to create a unique playstyle.
It takes some time to get used to her, but with enough practice she is a force to be reckoned with. I'll help you get started with this war angel and have you defeating your enemies in no time.
This guide will go everything you need to know about the Valkyrie in For Honor including:
- Valkyrie Basics - Specific mechanics the Valkyrie uses, and her moves.
- Valkyrie Gear - Suggested stats to shoot for when equipping gear.
- Valkyrie Tips - Extra tips for playing this hero at a higher level.
- Boar Hunter - 3 light attack combo, the first one must hit to connect the other 2.
- Thrust and Slash - Light Attack, Light Attack, Heavy Attack
- Harrier's Fury - Heavy Attack, Light Attack, Light Attack
- Hunter's Rush - Heavy Attack while sprinting
- Pouncing Thrust - Up+Dodge, Light Attack
- Hunter's Strike - Side+Dodge, Light Attack
- Shield Crush - Heavy Attack, Guardbreak
- Shield Tackle - Down+Dodge, hold Guardbreak.
- Shoulder Pin - Heavy attack immediately after a Dodge Block.
- Ram's Headbutt - Hold the second Guardbreak when using a Throw.
- Spear Sweep - Down+Heavy Attack at the end of a chain/combo.
- Balanced Renown gain across all activities.
- Superior Block Light Basic Attacks - Light attacks have a Superior Block priority during the start up.
- This means you can use them to counter attacks.
- Dodge Counter - Your Guard automatically matches the direction of your dodge, Pouncing Thrust, and Hunter's Strike.
- You can press heavy attack after a successful Dodge Block to link into Shoulder Pin.
- Full Block Stance on Shield Tackle - Hold Shield Tackle to gain Full Block Stance.
- This lets you block all directions at once and stays throughout the charge attack.
- Cancels - Shield Tackle can be canceled into a Pouncing Thrust by pressing Light Attack, or into a Guardbreak by pressing the guardbreak button.
- Heavy attacks can also be canceled into a Shield Crush by pressing the guardbreak button.
Valkyrie uses her shield and does a lot of blocking, so things that increase Block Damage and other defensive abilities are great. Since she is also part Assassin, raising attack is helpful as well.
- Weapon Part 1 - Attack or Defense work, it depends on who you fight
- Even though she has a Shield, she can't take many direct hits.
- Weapon Part 2 - Revenge Gain by Defense, followed by Revenge Mode Defense
- Weapon Part 3 - Revenge Mode Attack
- Helm - Debuff Resistance, or Revenge Mode Duration
- Arms - Block Damage Resistance
- Chest - Raise Block Damage, either of the other 2 are good secondary
Other Valkyrie Tips
Practice Shield Tackle
The Shield Tackle gives Full Block Stance, which is something unique to Heavy characters. Activating this stance helps when surrounded, and allows you to attack while keeping the stance. When people catch on, mix in Pouncing Thrusts, or Guardbreaks with the Tackle.
The Spear Sweep is a great attack and can be used at the end of combos instead of the listed attack. I suggest you mix these into your combos to surprise the enemy.
Master the Dodge Block
This is very much like an Assassin character's Deflect, and a big part of the Valkyrie. The Shoulder Pin attack you can do afterwards makes the opponent bleed, so make good use of this as it is the only Bleed attack she has.
Prioritize Light Attacks
If you time your attacks right, you can punch through an enemy's attack with your own Light Attack, or stop attacks that would have otherwise hit you.
Spear Sweep is the Ultimate Finisher
Using Spear Sweep at the end of a combo will succeed nearly every time, but don't do it too much. The enemy will catch on, and you will have to start using other finishers.
Those are all the tips I have for the Valkyrie in For Honor. Let me know if you have any questions and be sure to check out my Beginner Tips and Tricks for more help with the game.