You’ll want to find out how to deliver Nere’s head in Baldur’s Gate 3. This task is given to you by Spaw, the leader of the Myconid Colony in the Underdark. However, getting to Nere might take a while, since he’s in an entirely different region. Here’s what you need to do.
How to Deliver Nere’s Head in Baldur’s Gate 3
The objective to Deliver Nere’s Head in Baldur’s Gate 3 can be completed by killing Nere without maiming his body through various effects. Here’s a quick summary:
- Spaw is in the Underdark, which can be reached through different pathways, such as the Moon Door in the Goblin Camp or the portal in Auntie Ethel’s lair. He has various tasks for you, including the elimination of the Duergar.
- Once you’ve taken out the Duergar near the Underdark – Beach waypoint (X:18; Y:-195), you’ll see a boat. You can sail it all the way to Grymforge and to Nere’s base of operations.
- I also advise you not to side with Glut against Spaw. Doing so will cause everyone in the Myconid Colony to turn hostile, preventing you from completing much more than just this side quest. Basically, have Glut help you out while you’re exploring the Underdark, but don’t fight Spaw in his bid for power.
Meeting True Soul Nere
We discuss this in detail in our Free True Soul Nere guide. Here’s the short version:
- Nere is trapped in a room filled with poison gas. Avoid taking multiple long rests, or he’ll suffocate and die before you can even get to him.
- You need to look for explosives so you can clear the rubble.
- When prompted, side with Brithvar’s forces so you can fight True Soul Nere.
How to Cut Off Nere’s Head
If you want to successfully deliver Nere’s head in Baldur’s Gate 3, you must kill Nere via a normal physical attack. You can use various abilities, but the final blow must come from a physical attack only. Here are some tips:
- I personally suggest casting spells only if Nere is still above 20 HP. This prevents accidentally landing a final blow with an elemental magic. Fire, most especially, will scorch Nere’s body, preventing you from handling the next task.
- I believe that thunder, cold, radiant, and acid damage work the same way. They will mutilate Nere’s body beyond recognition if they’re used for the killing blow.
- Proc damage, such as an element that’s part of a regular attack, will also cause the same mishap. For instance, taking out Nere with the Everburn Blade dropped by Commander Zhalk will burn him to a crisp.
- It goes without saying that you shouldn’t push Nere into the lava pits.
In any case, let’s say that you landed a final blow with a normal physical attack. After the battle, a cutscene will play. You need to pass a Strength check, which lets your character decapitate Nere. When you’re done with the deed, return to Spaw in the Myconid Colony. He’ll give you the Envoy’s Amulet. Its perk grants a +2 bonus to Persuasion checks once per long rest.
And that’s how to deliver Nere’s Head in Baldur’s Gate 3. Sure, it does limit you as to the type of damage you can do, but it’s only for the final blow. For more tips and tactics, visit our BG3 guides hub.