In Borderlands 3, Pain and Terror are two of the hardest bosses to beat. Inspired by Penn and Teller, the duo is also one of the hardest to find in the game. If you’re having trouble finding Pain and Terror in Borderlands 3, then follow our guide below on where to find them.
This boss (singular, technically, since they’re one instance) hides inside an infernal machine known as the Agonizer 9000. The Agonizer 9000 can be found on Pandora in Borderlands 3. Specifically, a terrible, blood-soaked arena.
Borderlands 3: Pain and Terror Location
Pain and Terror can be found during the 17th main story mission: Blood Drive. You start the Blood Drive mission after completing the Cold as the Grave missions. You get Blood Drive from Lilith. It is recommended that you be at least Level 30 to complete the mission and beat Pain and Terror.
When you reach the end of the mission, locate the arena and Agonizer 9000:
- Go to Pandora (you should already be here, but…)
- Select the Guts of Carnivora location
- Follow the map to the round arena in the center
The boss fight starts when you reach the center of the arena. You will receive money and the Road Warrior unique artifact after beating the boss.
How to Beat Pain and Terror: Tips and Tricks
Agonizer 9000 is a massive machine that’s controlled by Pain and Terror. Luckily, all you have to technically do is destroy Agonizer 9000 to beat Pain and Terror. Well, and shoot their limp bodies once they’re down for the count.
Here are a few tips on how to beat this Borderlands 3 boss:
- Use only accurate weapons, such as a Sniper Rifle.
- Focus on shooting the Agonizer’s red fuel tanks.
- Focus on shooting the Agonizer’s eyes.
- Focus on shooting the Agonizer’s red boxes
Eventually, you will burn through the boss’ armor, exposing a purple center. Things get dicey here, but all you have to do is shoot the purple core to inflict damage. Do this until the boss is defeated.
Tips on how to avoid damage:
- Jump over or crouch under the blade sweep
- Run sideways to dodge sawblades flying out of its chest
- Run away from the big spiked board to the edge of the arena
- If the floor starts glowing and burning, run away to the safe area
For more Borderlands 3 guides, check out the list below:
- Bank Items Disappear “Glitch” Explained
- Legendary Farming Guide
- “Connection to PlayStation Network Has Been Lost” Fix
- How to Complete Skag Dog Days
- How to Skip Cutscenes
- How to Equip Weapon Trinkets