The Destiny 2 Unfinished Business exotic quest is a post-campaign quest that sees you getting your hands on one of the expansion’s flagship Exotics. Called the Deterministic Chaos, this Exotic LMG shoots to its own beat, weakens on the fourth hit, and causes a Volatile explosion on the sixteenth. Here’s how to complete the Destiny 2 Unfinished Business quest for the Deterministic Chaos.
How to Complete the Unfinished Business Exotic Quest in Destiny 2
You can start the Destiny 2 Unfinished Business Exotic Quest for the Deterministic LMG soon after finishing the Lightfall campaign on either difficulty. The first step unlocks following the ending cutscene.
Unfinished Business Quest Step 1
For this step, visit the Hall of Heroes. The door at the back of the far room will have a quest marker. Approach the door and interact for another cutscene with Nimbus.
Step 2 of the Unfinished Business quest has you meet with Nimbus. He’ll be back at the ledge in Strider’s Gate.
Here’s where things get interesting in the Unfinished Business quest. This part has two tasks:
- Collect Cipher Qubits from Vex.
- Defeat Vex anywhere on Neomuna, and they will drop materials you need to pick up in the world.
- Extract Rohan’s Data from Cloud Accretions.
- Cloud Accretions are the planetary material for Neomuna.
You’ll find Cloud Accretions in all zones as tiny crystalline/grass-like structures. We have a guide about Cloud Accretions here. The more Cipher Qubits you have, the more often you can extract data. You can see how many times you can extract in the third row of the step screen. Every 1x you have is a single extraction.
This step asks you to locate the final Data Packet at Maya’s Retreat. You’ll be headed east of Límíng Harbor through the cave system at the area’s far end. You went to Maya’s Retreat during the campaign and should be familiar with it. It’s the sizeable open arena where you fought a Tormentor.
This part of the Destiny 2 Unfinished Business quest is fairly straightforward. Extract the final Data Packet at Maya’s Retreat. Clear all the Vex that appear there and claim the data from the Vex Conflux.
For step 6 of the quest, you’ll need to regroup with Nimbus and Osiris at the Radiosonde. Also near the Límíng Harbor, follow the markers into the building complex, past the breakable doors and several waves of Vex. You’ll eventually need to start clearing rooms of Vex for a few unbreakable doors to open.
Here, you’ll need to retrieve a Vex Compass from the Thrilladrome Lost Sector in Límíng Harbor. Finish the entire Lost Sector and open the final chest for the Compass.
For step 8 of the Unfinished Business quest (which is just about halfway through the chain), you’ll be asked to create Chaos in Ahimsa Park. This means defeating Shadow Legion Cabal in Ahimsa Park. You’ll make extra progress by defeating them with Abilities: grenades, charged melees, and Supers.
From Ahimsa Park, take the path into Calus’ Typhon Imperator ship. Make your way through until you reach a yellow glowing portal, then go through it. You’ll end up in the room where you had to flee early in the campaign.
You’ll need to clear all the enemies on the main floor to drop the shields at either side of the chamber. Collect the energy from both sides once the shields are down, and you’ll receive the Seed of Silver Wings.
Here, return to Nimbus in Striders’ Gate to build the passkey, then speak to Nimbus.
Complete the “What Remains” Mission to finish this step. The flag that launches the mission is on the way to Maya’s Retreat. Once you’re in the mission, you’ll be in the Black Garden, following the path you take through the Garden of Salvation Raid in reverse.
This part of the Destiny 2 Unfinished Business quest is long, but your first stopping point is a large chamber with a radiolaria river in the middle.
Unfinished Business Quest Part 11 Walkthrough
- You’ll need to destroy the conflux cubes marked on your HUD, as they control the large shield blocking your path. The one to the right of the entrance is blocked by an aerial shield of its own, though it’s much smaller. Note what these look like, as you’ll be seeing them again.
- Destroy one final cube below the ledge, also blocked by a shield. There’s a mirror-like structure next to it that you can use to ricochet your bullets onto the cube.
- With the large shield down, jump on the moving platforms and follow the column to your left around. Go past the Cyclops until you reach a set of long hallways blocked by red energy barriers.
- Clear the Vex, and the Minotaur that appears will drop a Vex Cranium from, which you can reflect off the mirror to destroy the cube generating the barrier.
- Jump across the moving platforms to the central area, clear the enemies, and head down the other open hallway. There will be a yellow-bar Wyvern there. Destroy it and its guards to progress.
- Go beneath the tree roots and into the large blue-lit chamber. There are three Taken blights to destroy, with Taken Ogres guarding them. The Ogre eye blasts can blast you off into the air, so watch out for that.
- With all the Blights gone, take the Vex portal and follow the marker. You’ll reach a very long, flower-covered platform; at its end will be Nimbus and the Deterministic Chaos on the ground before him.
- Pick it up and follow the pools of Vex energy (which will also give you full ammo as long as you stand in them).
- Blend your way through every enemy in your path, taking out mirror puzzles as you go. Eventually, you’ll reach a large arena where Ghost will chide the Vex for creating a false god. Defeat all the enemies, the focus on the Conceptual Mind. It will flee down the hallway across from the large circular structure and radiolaria sea. Break the Vex cubes as before, dropping both the large shield and making the Mind vulnerable.
- For the Mind’s last stand, it will teleport to the back of the long hallway, and you’ll need to break two final cubes, then burn the Vex into the ground. When you see the Mission End message on the left side of your screen, you can return to Neomuna.
Bring the Conceptual Mind’s memory core to Nimbus in Striders’ Gate. Go back to Neptune to meet Nimbus.
Step 13 — Getting the Deterministic Chaos LMG
For this final step of the Destiny 2 Unfinished Business quest, head to the Hall of Heroes to pay respects to those who came before. A quest marker will be near Rohan’s server memorial. Interact with it for a short cutscene, and you’ll have completed Unfinished Business.
That’s how to complete the Destiny 2 Unfinished Business exotic quest. You’ll have the Deterministic Chaos LMG in your hands — finally. For more coverage, our Destiny 2 guides hub has what you’re looking for.
Featured image via Bungie