Rockstar Games has just released a new summer content update for Red Dead Online, titled Frontier Pursuits. It adds new gameplay elements to the mode, as well as three new professions — Bounty Hunter, Trader, and Collector — which players can pursue to make more money.
Whether you’re playing with friends or randos, trading is probably the safest and most profitable job in Red Dead‘s multiplayer (though the other two professions certainly have their merits).
If you are looking take on the role of Trader in Red Dead Online and ultimately maximize your efforts, then follow our tips guide below.
Getting Started as Trader in Red Dead Online
Here are the details for what you need to do to start your business:
- Go to any Post Office
- Collect a Letter from Cripps.
- Open the letter and read it.
- Open the map and look for a new marker.
- Travel to the closest General Store (indicated by the marker).
- Purchase the Butcher’s Table (15 gold on Xbox One; free on PS4).
- Open the map and look for another new marker.
- Find a wagon indicated by the marker.
- Bring it back to your Camp.
Cripps will now be your partner in trade, which opens the doors for lots of business and money-making opportunities.
Deals, Skills, and Items
After you’ve become a trader, you can start selling goods that you and Cripps have produced using the Butcher’s Table. These are the three basic steps you need to go through to complete a full trading deal:
- Get materials: Hunt animals and bring them back to your camp.
- Get supplies: You can either buy supplies for $20, or you can start a resupply mission from your camp at no cost.
- Produce goods: Give your materials and supplies to Cripps, who will turn them into goods, which you can distribute for money and XP.
When you’ve managed to produce enough goods, you’re ready to start selling your specialty goods to grow your business. It’s worth noting that you can make more money by trading to rural clients.
It’s also worth noting that Traders have special skills and items that will help you make money:
|Rewards||What They Do|
|Stew Pot||Camp upgrade. Unlocks stew recipes to boost cores|
|Hammer||A hard-hitting melee weapon|
|Ingredient Satchel |
|Store more items in your Ingredients Pouch|
|Awareness||Identify rival Trader wagons at an increased range|
|Canine Warning||Dog warns you when thieves try to raid your camp|
|Med/Lg Delivery |
|Upgraded wagons that can hold more goods|
|Weapons Locker||Store weapons for later use|
|Lance Knife||A knife style only available to Traders|
|Efficiency||Increase the number of usable materials from perfect carcasses|
|Materials Satchel |
|Store more items in your Materials Pouch|
|Hunting Wagon||A sturdy capable of carrying multiple carcasses, hides, pelts|
|Protection||Reduce the chance of raids at your camp|
|Kladruber Horses||Distinctive, strong and steady horses|
Trading Tips and Tricks
There is a natural progression to this profession. Here are some tips to help you survive in the highly competitive trading business of Red Dead Online:
- Improve your hunting yields with a Hunting Wagon at Level 10.
- Improve your Delivery Wagons and sell larger quantities of goods.
- Improve your Pot Stew to maintain a steady source of food in your camp.
- Purchase a dog for your camp to protect it from raiders.
- Raise a white flag in your camp during item drop off.
- Only do hunting missions. Forget fishing since it’s not economical.
- Hunt Turkeys.
- Hunt Alligators and Deer.
- Bring more horses when hunting to carry more animals.
That is all you need to know on how to become a successful Trader in the game, and for more Red Dead Online guides, check out the list below:
- How to Win Horse Races
- How to Make Money Super Fast
- How to Form a Posse and Play With Friends
- Infinite Money Exploit Guide
- How to Unlock Fast Travel
- How to be a Bounty Hunter
- How to be a Collector
- Bard’s Crossing Treasure Map Guide: How to Find and What You’ll Get
Red Dead Online is out now for the PS4 and Xbox One. Players must own Red Dead Redemption 2 to play the online multiplayer/co-op mode. For more on Rockstar’s Wild West epic, be sure to head over to our official review.