Daedra Hearts eventually become an integral part of brewing potions in Skyrim, but getting your hands on enough Daedra Hearts to brew all the potions you’re probably going to need is an intensive effort.
Our guide will provide you with the list of all possible locations where you can find Daedra Hearts in Skyrim. Most of these can be farmed by defeating Daedra beings. Many can also be seen in the open world, and you can even craft some if you want.
Where to Find Daedra Hearts in Skyrim
At the Daedric Shrine
Accept the “Pieces of the Past” quest, given by Silus Vesuius at the city of Dawnstar, the capital of the Pale hold.
This quest will send you to the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon, a Daedric shrine located between The Lord Stone and Skyborn Altar.
Every ten days four Dremoras spawn inside and outside the shrine. Once they are defeated, they will each drop a Daedra Heart.
At the Soul Cairn
Of all Oblivion planes, Soul Cairn is the best one to hunt for Daedra Hearts. Many of the beings inhabiting Soul Cairn can drop Daedra Hearts, and many can be simply found inside the chests.
You can enter the Soul Cairn plane by entering the portal in the Volkihar Dungeons of the Volkihar Castle during the “Chasing Echoes” quest, given by Serana at the Dimhollow Crypt north of The Lord Stone.
At the Shrine of Azura
Accept the “Black Star” quest, given by Aranea Ienith at the Shrine of Azura south of Winterhold.
You will have to fight Malyn Varen, a Dunmer mage found inside the Azura’s Star, and three Dremora mages.
In the end of the quest you will be rewarded with three Daedra Hearts.
At the Midden Dark
Accept the “Forgotten Names” quest, given by a strange gauntlet in the Midden underneath the College of Winterhold.
At the end of the quest you can fight Valehk Sain, a Dremora pirate trapped in the Midden Dark, who will drop a Daedra Heart once defeated.
At the Ivarstead
Accept the “Straw That Broke” quest, given by Narfi at the river in Ivarstead.
He will ask you to locate and investigate the body of his sister Reyda, which can be found in the river southeast of Ivarstead.
The remains of Reyda may contain a Daedra Heart, and you may get one as a reward from Narfi.
Purchasable From Merchants
- 2 Daedra Hearts are available from Enthir, merchant of College of Winterhold
- 1 ~ 2 Daedra Hearts are available from Babette, merchant of the Dark Brotherhood
- Typically, all Alchemy shops should have some in stock
Pickpocketed or Stolen
- Sometimes Kodlak Whitemane and Farkas have a few Daedra Hearts at Jorrvaskr in the Wind District of Whiterun.
- One heart appears once a month inside the Hall of the Vigilant, which is located south of Dawnstar.
- One can be found inside the Valerica’s Study in the Volkihar Dungeons of the Volkihar Castle.
- Sometimes carried by Thalmor Wizards, Hunters, Alchemists, Vigilants of Stendarr, Hagravens, and Ebony Warrior.
- Apothecary Satchels may contain some Daedra Hearts inside Alchemy labs.
- One heart can be found inside the Drelas’ Cottage, which is located northwest of Dustman’s Cairn.
- Two hearts can be found in the Nightcaller Temple‘s laboratory, which is located east of Dawnstar.
- One heart can be taken from Balbus, a wandering Nord warrior.
- One can be picked up from the alchemy table inside the Sinderion’s Field Laboratory at the far northeast of Blackreach.
- Another one can be looted from the corpse of Daynas Valen at the Folgunthur tomb located southeast of Solitude.
- The last one can be obtained from Dremora Valkynaz at the Labyrinthian.
How to Craft Daedra Hearts
If you got tired of hunting the Daedra Hearts in the open, then you can chose to craft them instead.
Daedra Hearts can be crafted only at the Atronach Forge, located in the Midden underneath the College of Winterhold.
The crafting recipe for one Daedra Heart is the following:
- 1x Sigil Stone
- 1x Human Heart
- 1x Black Soul Gem
Sigil Stone can be obtained from Phinis Gestor at College of Winterhold once you reach Conjuration Level 90. Go speak to Phinis and you will get a Sigil Stone as a reward for completing “Conjuration Ritual Spell” quest. From then on, Sigil Stone can be used as many times as you wish for crafting Daedra Hearts, as it is not consumed in the process.
Multiple Human Hearts can be found in the open world of Skyrim, but the most common spot where you can consistently find them is the Volkihar Castle.
Black Soul Gems can be consistently found inside chests and caves, or dropped by Necromancers, Giants, Hagravens, Forsworn Briarhearts, and Draugrs.
- Skyrim Skeleton Key: How to Get the Unbreakable Lockpick
- Skyrim: How to Get Dragon Scales
- Skyrim: How to Get Dragon Bones
That’s all you need to know on where to find Daedra Hearts in Skyrim. For more Skyrim tips and tricks articles, please visit our dedicated hub page.