I saw almost every conclusion before I learned how to get the best ending in The Quarry. Being good and saving everyone isn’t easy. Even the small choices you make can have wide-ranging consequences. However, you’re likely after this finale for one of two reasons: to see everyone survive or to get the associated trophy or achievement: Rough Night.
My guide below will lead you through the twists and turns of Hackett’s Quarry to bring everyone out alive. I’ll tell you the right decisions and choices to make in each chapter to help all of the characters survive the night. Once completed, you’ll get the Rough Night trophy/achievement. As a rule of thumb, make sure to succeed at every Hold Breath event and every QTE; you can miss a select few near the end if you’re going for specific trophies/achievements and still save everyone, but let’s not chance it.
The decisions and choices below are outlined with as few spoilers as possible, but some very slight spoilers are unavoidable.
It’s worth mentioning that there’s an interlude between each chapter, where you visit a mysterious woman. If you’ve picked up Tarot Cards, she tells you about them and asks if you’d like to know more. Choosing to “move on” or learn more does not affect the best ending — or any of the endings.
On another note, here’s where to find all of the collectibles as you play through the game’s prologue and subsequent chapters. Note: you can only get all Tarot Cards or all clues because of a choice in Chapter 2 — not both. If you don’t get the best ending on your first try, you can always go back later.
How to Get the Best Ending in The Quarry
Here are all of the choices I made when to get the best ending in The Quarry.
- As Laura in the car, choose to look at the map in the backseat.
- In the woods, choose to snoop in the trunk when looking for the tools.
- When things get spooky in the woods, choose to be compliant.
- Complete the QTEs as Laura in the woods, then with the cop, choose to be honest, friendly, compliant, relieved.
- At the lodge, take the wrenches at the bunker and choose confident. Be sure to help Max.
Chapter 1: Hackett’s Quarry Forever
- You start this chapter as Jacob. Choose the following as he’s speaking with Kaitlyn: reflective, playful, mischievous, brave.
- When inspecting the van’s engine, you can choose either to disconnect the fuel line or rip out/steal the rotor arm. The latter helps you get a collectible later.
- Choose to be friendly.
- When you switch to Abi and Emma at the camp cabins, shape your destiny by choosing to break in to get the bags.
- Find Emma by the red golf cart on the far side of the area and choose enthusiastic.
- After you get back to the lodge with the other counselors (after seeing the smoke), choose to interrupt/nudge Nick.
- Ryan will talk about a podcast. As Dylan, choose friendly, then supportive.
- You’ll then ask about your phones and a charge. Choose understanding.
- Ryan and Chris will go inside. Eavesdrop when Hackett is on the phone in his office.
- Choose concerned when you talk to Hackett after the phone call and talking about family.
- The topic will switch to ghost stories. Choose apologetic, then choose inquisitive.
- After the QTEs at the vans, choose compliant. After Chris leaves, choose insistent, supportive, reluctant.
Chapter 2: Truth or Dare
- You’ll start this chapter as Emma at Hackett’s Quarry Camp Store. When you reach the very back of the storage room, try to open the door on the right side and call Jacob.
- Pick up the shotgun by the shelves in this smaller room.
- When you open the safe, leave the fireworks.
Choose affectionate when Jacob grabs the Butterpops off of the shelf.
- As Dylan in Hackett’s Office. Choose friendly, sarcastic when checking the phone on Hackett’s desk, and serious when checking the shotgun. (Note: I failed the QTE here and it didn’t affect anything).
- After the wardrobe, choose mischevious, check around if you’d like, then head to the party.
- With Nick in Hackett’s Woods, take Rocky Road for a Tarot Card and follow the path left twice (you’ll pass the Tarot Card at the first left).
- Choose uncertain when getting philosophical with Abi.
Go down the stairs and stay right. Then choose sincere and save Abi during the QTE.
- Choose serious when talking about the hog.
- Choose stern when talking about shooting for the butterpops.
You’ll then follow Kaitlyn, Jacob, and Nick. Choose hopeful on the camp trail when talking about Abi.
- Back at the firepit, interrupt during truth or dare.
- You’ll go around the circle of characters. Choose truth when Emma asks Ryan about Hackett, then mischievous in response to the Hag of Hackett’s Quarry. Choose Kaitlyn, then choose mischievous.
Chapter 3: Trouble in Paradise
- As Abi in the woods, choose to call back to Nick, then choose honest and cautious at the log. Choose kiss.
- When all hell breaks loose, help Nick, then run.
- Don’t climb the tree, then complete the Hold Breath event (no red on the screen).
As Jacob, after looking for the towels, choose enthusiastic. Next, choose to flirt (If you dive in after this [rotor arm], choose to detangle when given the chance).
- Back at the camp firepit, choose worried when asking about Nick, then assertive.
- Take both shortcuts and shout at the end. Choose to shoot.
- As Jacob, plead, then don’t throw the dirt.
Chapter 4: Don’t Panic
- Interact with the first QTE, then choose dismissive. There will be a QTE to call out; you can interact with it or not, but don’t interact with the next two QTEs.
- Choose questioning after the two QTEs, then choose to let go. Interact with the next QTE.
- As Emma, choose to search the bag, then use the taser (for a piece of evidence; bear spray has the same consequences but doesn’t get you the evidence). After, choose spray, block door, and use trap door.
- Back at the lodge as Dylan, choose optimistic before finding a landline, then choose hopeful in Hackett’s office.
- Choose determined to call the cops when Ryan has the phone. Then choose suspicious, followed by calm after talking about the radio hut and Ryan asks you to put something back.
- Choose defensive when talking about Kaitlyn, then give the item.
As Emma (again), reel slowly to cut down on the noise, then don’t interact with the QTE that appears to speed things up (despite the danger).
Chapter 5: White Noise
- As Nick at the start of the chapter, choose grateful, don’t interact with the QTE, then choose reassuring.
- You’ll then switch to Kaitlyn investigating a noise (no choices but QTEs), then return to Nick. Choose confident, then intrigued. Then choose to hide and hold your breath yet again until the red disappears from the screen.
- As Ryan inside the radio hut, choose interested, concerned, and apologetic. There will be a noise on the hut’s roof, and Ryan will aim at the ceiling. Don’t interact with the QTE.
- Afterward, choose aggressive, confident, calm, desperate, and chainsaw. Finally, choose uncertain.
Chapter 6: Prayers by Night
- You’ll start this chapter as Jacob. Follow the wooden walkway around and down, then right at the bottom of the stairs. Choose delighted, then apologetic. Hide and hold your breath like normal and choose to pry open the trap.
- You’ll switch back to the group at the pool. Here, choose compassionate and to help Nick.
- As Abi in the pool house, choose calm, then compassionate. When given the chance, shoot.
- As Emma, don’t run when you have the chance.
- Back at the pool house as Ryan, choose reassuring, suspicious, and interested.
Chapter 7: The Past Behind Us
- When the chapter begins, then shifts to a new scene with the cop, don’t interact with the QTE. Then choose compliant x2, intrigued, pleading. There’s another QTE you shouldn’t interact with here. Then choose concerned, disappointed, compliant, worried.
- After gaining control and being able to inspect the cell, another scene will play, where you should choose fearful, serious, reflective, encouraging, and empathetic.
- You’ll shift back to the pool house for a short scene. Choose calm. After, choose curious, optimistic, skeptical.
- Don’t interact with the QTE back in the jail, then choose compassionate.
- Explore the police station and get the syringe from the third office on the second floor if you’d like (not necessary). Hide it and go to sleep. Wake up and choose honest, confident, and don’t interact with the QTE in the jail cell after receiving the information/poem.
- After that, choose confused, encouraging, resigned, empathetic.
- When the scene changes, interact with the next QTE, then when it changes again, interact with the QTE with the gun (if you miss the first time, you get a second chance; this happens if you don’t get the syringe).
- If you choose to forego the syringe, choose apologetic.
- Choose anxious in the office, then reassuring and show in the pool house.
- Finally, choose pleading when you switch characters.
Chapter 8: The Belly of the Beast
- At the beginning of the chapter in the pool house, choose uncertain, curious, suspicious. Then choose guarded, compassionate, and friendly.
- In the woods, choose inquisitive, reflective, compassionate.
- Once in the cave, choose patient (missing the QTE here doesn’t matter).
- After the cave sequence, you’ll control Kaitlyn. Choose honest in the lodge and encouraging at the van.
- Next, you’ll control Ryan in the rum cellar/basement. After going into the red light area, complete the first QTE but skip the next QTE at the cage.
- Choose to stop Laura in the next QTE.
- Then choose to help Jacob.
- Flip the first and second breaker, continue, then flip the second and third breaker.
Chapter 9: The Matriarch
- This chapter begins with Dylan and Kaitlyn on the way to the scrapyard. Choose positive and curious.
- You’ll quickly move to Abi and Emma at the bunker/storm shelter. Choose curious x2.
- You’ll then switch to Ryan and Laura. Interact with the QTE to shoot, then don’t pull the knife.
- Interact with the cabinet by the standing mirror and the fireplace before interacting with the door so you can hide in the cabinet and hold your breath yet again until the red leaves the screen. Then block the doorway with the QTE.
- As Laura, choose to hide and hold your breath again. You can explore, then there will be another scene with QTEs. After those, choose to attack and complete another QTE.
- You’ll take control of Ryan again. After two QTEs, choose to hold your breath then interrupt. Then choose sympathetic, accept, then don’t interrupt.
You’ll return to Dylan and Kaitlyn. Once you get to the yellow crane, choose encouraging, then warn Kaitlyn (this will sound the horn).
- Sound the horn again after a QTE, then complete all other QTEs.
- You’ll then return to the bunker to take control of Abi. Walk straight down the middle to the fusebox underneath the light in the back. Pick up the silver shells.
Now you’ll go back to Laura and Ryan. Choose to shoot when you have the chance after leaving the attic. Then choose suspicious.
Chapter 10: Bricks and Mortar
- As Max, choose to stay on the dock.
- Next, you’ll return to Kaitlyn at the lodge. After preparing for the attack, you’ll go to Jacob for a short cutscene, then see a very short scene with Abi and Emma. Then, back to the lodge. Choose run and beam before the QTE.
- Choose run, investigate, and shoot.
- You’ll then return to Laura on Route 919. Choose inquisitive, grab gun, and take cover. Then choose determined and give to Ryan.
- In the woods choose probing and reflective.
- Don’t raise the gun and don’t interact with the QTE. Then shoot.
And that’s how to get the best ending in The Quarry — and save everyone along the way. The epilogue plays, and there are no more decisions to be made. Stick around, though, because you’ll learn some neat things about the evidence you’ve found. And if you’d rather kill everyone, here’s how to get the bad (worst) ending. You can choose to save Chris along the way, too.