Dwight's loadout in Dead by Daylight
Screenshot by GameSkinny

What Does Luck Do in Dead by Daylight?

May the odds be ever in your favor! Here's how Luck works in Dead by Daylight.

Luck is the only legacy mechanic left that Behaviour Interactive has yet to address. Because of this, you may have some misconceptions about using it to increase your chances of survival during a match. Here’s what Luck does in Dead by Daylight so you don’t unnecessarily burn offerings or waste valuable perk slots.

Recommended Videos

Dead by Daylight: What Does Luck Do?

Dwight on a hook in Dead by Daylight
Screenshot by GameSkinny

The Luck mechanic in Dead by Daylight only affects your Odds of succeeding when performing a Self-Unhook attempt without using perks like Wicked or Deliverance. The game calculates your Odds as a total percentage, which you can increase by burning offerings or running perks. Doing so will increase your base Odds percentage, 4%, by a specific amount.

For example, suppose you play a match where all four Survivors run the Slippery Meat and Up the Ante perks, and all burn Vigo’s Jar of Salty Lips offering. In that case, your base Odds of 4% is increased by an additional 52%, for a total of 56% Odds of succeeding while performing a Self-Unhook attempt.

All Luck Offerings in Dead by Daylight:

  • Chalk Pouch: Increases only your Odds by +1%
  • Cream Chalk Pouch: Increases only your Odds by +2%
  • Salt Pouch: Increases every Survivors’ Odds by +1%
  • Black Salt Statuette: Increases every Survivors’ Odds by +2%
  • Ivory Chalk Pouch: Increases only your Odds by +3%
  • Vigo’s Jar of Salty Lips: Increases every Survivors’ Odds by +4%

All Luck Perks in Dead by Daylight:

  • Slippery Meat: Increases your Odds by 2/3/4%
  • Up the Ante: Increases every Survivors’ Odds by 3/6/9%

What Does Chance Do in Dead by Daylight?

Chance is a proficiency indicator that appears only on the screen of a Survivor when you attempt to perform a Self-Unhook. It’s directly linked to the Luck mechanic and is based on your total Odds percentage. When you attempt a Self-Unhook you will see a four-leaf clover icon with either a Yellow or Red background, signifying your success of succeeding is higher or lower.

What Luck Doesn’t Do in Dead by Daylight?

Dwight unlocking a chest in Dead by Daylight

A common misconception is that Luck improves your chances of finding higher Rarity items when searching Chests, but it does not. The only way to achieve this is by using the Plunderer’s Instinct perk, which increases your odds of finding items of higher rarities based on the perk’s Tier level.

In addition, the Luck mechanic does not affect where the Hatch spawns or your chances of finding it. Instead, only the Vigo’s Blueprint and Annotated Blueprint offerings cause the Hatch to spawn in specific areas of a map.

Finally, Dead by Daylight uses Luck to influence your Odds of escaping from a Bear Trap laid down by the Trapper. However, Behaviour removed this mechanic in Patch 4.5.0, released in February 2021. Since then, the game calculates your chances to escape using an RNG with a max of six. Keep in mind that Luck does not influence this RNG.

Now that you know what Luck does, you can decide whether it’s worth using. Check out our DBD hub for other guides and to discover if Dead by Daylight is on Game Pass?


GameSkinny is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article How to Complete the Sterling Spy Challenge in BitLife
Official Challenge Logo
Read Article Blade Ball Codes (April 2024)
Roblox Blade Ball
Read Article Roblox Blox Fruits Codes (April 2024)
Blox Fruits on Roblox
Read Article NBA 2K24 Locker Codes List (April 2024)
Read Article Roblox Shindo Life Codes (April 2024) [Shinobi Life 2]
Shindo Life/Shinobi Life 2
Related Content
Read Article How to Complete the Sterling Spy Challenge in BitLife
Official Challenge Logo
Read Article Blade Ball Codes (April 2024)
Roblox Blade Ball
Read Article Roblox Blox Fruits Codes (April 2024)
Blox Fruits on Roblox
Read Article NBA 2K24 Locker Codes List (April 2024)
Read Article Roblox Shindo Life Codes (April 2024) [Shinobi Life 2]
Shindo Life/Shinobi Life 2
Author
Matthew Kevin Mitchell
Matthew Kevin Mitchell is a freelance writer for GameSkinny and has written in the game journalism industry for over two years. In his previous roles, Matthew primarily covered Manga, like One Piece, horror movies like Scream, and asymmetrical horror games like Dead by Daylight. His favorite moment came during his first press event covering Scream 6. He hails from Denver, Colorado, where he received his Bachelor of Science in Information Technology from Regis University. When he isn’t scaring himself silly or writing, he loves to play goalie in rec ice hockey, spoil his dog Nux, and drink an unhealthy amount of coffee.