New Planet Minecraft Project Contest - Underwater Wonderland Now Live
Planet Minecraft has launched their eleventh project contest, and this theme is "Underwater Wonderland", where Steve needs your building expertise. The contest will run a total of four weeks, from July 1st until July 29th.
"But with the coral reefs surrounding him, Steve began his work to truly tame the ocean."
The contest scenario is set when Steve is getting bored with his Minecrafting and wants to explore more build options. When he looks onward as far as the eye can see, Steve realizes he hasn't explored the wide-open ocean and starts his new project with your help.
A few rules
All contests have rules and regulations to abide by, and Planet Minecraft is very particularly up-front with theirs.
- "All entries must be built on the custom map provided."
- "Third party texture packs are NOT allowed this contest."
- "Builds have to be original works created specifically for this contest."
In a way of leveling the playing field between competitors, submissions must be made on the map that Planet Minecraft provided on the contest website, and the submissions must be done in default Minecraft texturepack. Lastly, you can't reuse old material for this contest, it all must be new as of the contest date. I wouldn't cross Planet Minecraft on these rules, or your submission will be disqualified.
There are a few parts that they'll be judging the maps on, and it revolves around creativity and imagination.
- "Concept and Originality" - Bring on the new ideas!
- "Technique and Execution" - Elements within the build such as color and shape matter.
- "Presentation and Experience" - Do some interior design. Provide jaw dropping screenshots and videos for the submission, and don't rely on Photoshop to carry you.
What You Can Do
With only a few rules, you can pretty much do anything in this contest. Creative mode, MCEdit, VoxelSniper, and WorldEdit are all tools at your command. Teamwork is also possible, but only one person may submit the map and drama will not be allowed. The Shaders Mod can also be used when presenting the build via screenshots and videos. Finally, inspiration can be taken from anywhere but layouts, designs, and specific elements must vary. Don't be a copy cat.
- Third party mods are prohibited, as they obtain blocks outside of vanilla Minecraft.
- Excessive Photoshop on screenshots and videos will result in disqualification, so 75% or more of screenshots should be authentic without editing. This rule only applies to post-editing screenshots, so the Shaders Mod is a go.
- Terrain expansions are specific: no removing the existing blocks except the fake-water on the surface to provide a water level if you want builds to go above water, lowering the build is acceptable, and replacing blocks within coral and terrain is fine as long as the original theme stands true and is not all altered.
This contest runs for four weeks, from July 1st until July 29th at 12 PM EST. There is no rush on the submissions, but you can update them should you want to. Once the contest closes, it will take 5 days for submissions to be judged. The three prizes revolve around Steam, so if you win a Steam account will be needed - no substitutes.
- 1st Place - $60 worth of Steam game(s), Gold Pixel Art Trophy on Member's profile themed for the contest, and your profile featured on PMC for 1 week.
- 2nd Place - $30 worth of Steam game(s), Silver Pixel Art Trophy on Member's profile themed for the contest, and your profile featured on PMC for 1 week.
- 3rd Place - $20 worth of Steam game(s), Bronze Pixel Art Trophy on Member's profile themed for the contest, and your profile featured on PMC for 1 week.