A Complete Introduction Guide to GameSkinny - Come Write With Us!
These days, publishing great content online is not hard.. being heard is!
There is so much content online now that personal blogs, YouTube videos, in-depth forum posts.. they're getting lost, overlooked, drowned out.
We think that's lame.
So, we built a place for intelligent folks like you to have your opinion heard, shared, discovered and discussed. We believe in giving gamers a space, and we've already had great success with Guild Launch, where guilds and gaming groups can create their own websites, so....
We created GameSkinny.
A publishing platform built from the ground up that does a few very specific things, and does them very well:
- Gives you a place to create a games writing portfolio
- Gives great content exposure to an established audience
- Gives serious contributors a chance to improve their skills through on-site info, tutorials, and interaction with GameSkinny Editors
- Rewards top writers with real, actual money through our Bounty program.
Write about video games, build your audience, and be as rad as you can be.
So there ya have it. It's that simple. Give GameSkinny a try. We think you'll like it. Below is a collection of articles and resources to get you started.
Level 1: Posting Basics
"Help, I'm new here!" That's ok, welcome to the madhouse! If you are new to writing or need a push in the right direction, this section is for you. Learn the basics of posting and writing on GameSkinny.
- A Love Note to All GameSkinny's Aspiring Writers
- How To Make A Gaming Website or Blog (GameSkinny is a Great Place to Start!)
- Writing for Fame and Fun
- Why is my post in the Lobby?
- Find Articles to Link to with GameSkinny's Existing Content Finder Tool
- How to Properly Embed a Video into an Article
- How to Embed a Tweet Into an Article with HTML
- What Changed? How Our Editors Improve Posts Through Formatting and Metadata
- GameSkinny Guide To Success: Profanity
- Gaming Journalists Must Always Engage the Community
- What Do Review Scores Mean on GameSkinny?
Level 2: Advanced Tactics
You've completed level one and you've got a good handle of how things work 'round these parts. Awesome! Now it's time to sharpen your skills and grab games writing by the thumbsticks horns.
- Friendly PSA for Aspiring Journalists: Reading is Not an Option
- How to Proofread Your Own Work and Why You Should
- GameSkinny Guide To Success: Weird Punctuation
- How & When to Use Commas The Right Way
- Common Grammar Mistakes/Conundrums and How to Avoid Them
- 6 Things Great Editors Do Besides Spelling and Grammar Fixes
- Good Timing: How to Write About Your Favorite Game on GameSkinny
- GameSkinny Guide To Success: Sentences!
- Don't Be a Boring Reporter, Be a Creative Producer
- Turning Big News Into a Flood of Original Content
- How to Write a Great Review That People Will Actually Read
- GameSkinny Writers and JTP Peeps: Advice on Secondary Reporting
- How to Write Long-Form Articles
- How to Use Game Titles in Your Content Effectively
Level 3: Expert Mode
Oh boy, you're really grooving now! Once you feel like you've mastered level two and have honed your skills, now it's the tough part: gaining notoriety and recognition as a writer and boosting that view count. We want to see that dashboard grow and so do you!
- 5 Tricks and Techniques to Improve Your Titles Today
- The Surprising Secrets Behind Writing Smart Titles
- The Beginner's Guide to Building an Audience Through Better Tagging
- Zero to Funded: Promoting Your Kickstarter Project on GameSkinny
- Content Production Advice: You Can't Always Write What You Want
- The Art of Tackling Trending Topics
- Yes, Journalists Write Articles "For Clicks," So Get Over It
- A Game Journalist's Sob Story: When Play Becomes Work
- Interviewing Tips For Budding Journalists
- How to Conduct Interviews at Game Conventions
- How to Avoid Writer's Block
- The Complete Guide to Starting and Writing a Regular Blog Column, Podcast, or Vodcast
- The One Golden Rule of Creating Shareable Online Content
- Evergreen Basics: GameSkinny's Crash Course in Creating Killer Content
- Case Study: How a GameSkinny Writer Got an Easy 120k Views On One Article
- Lady Bits: Here's Why a Bayonetta Cosplay Article Got So Many Views
- SEO Basics for the New Writer: Using Keywords to Boost Your Overall Pageviews
Bonus Level: Learn More About GameSkinny
If you want to learn more about GameSkinny and want to get involved, here are some links to get you started. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and check out our new forums (Coming soon to Community.GuildLaunch). Also, be sure to check out Guild Launch too!
- Introducing Friendly Feedback
- What Are Points?
- Levels and Titles
- The GameSkinny Newsletter
- Go Ahead and Cross the Streams: Getting the News You Want
- The Passion of the Video Game Journalist is Unmatched
- GameSkinny Internship: The Journalist Training Program's 2015 Sessions
- The GameSkinny Writer's Workshop
- Earn Money Through Writing with GameSkinny's Bounty Program (Coming Soon!)