At first glance, you might think that the objective to find the Mushroom Picker in Baldur’s Gate 3 is next to impossible. After all, the poor Dwarf is surrounded by Bibberbang, bright green fungi that release poisonous fumes, only to explode when someone is close enough. As such, you really need to be very careful.
How to Find the Mushroom Picker in Baldur’s Gate 3
The Baldur’s Gate 3 Find the Mushroom Picker quest takes place in the Underdark, and it requires you to use jumps or teleportation spells to complete the task. Here’s a quick summary:
- You receive the quest from a Dwarf named Derryth in the Myconid Colony. You can’t miss her, since most of the inhabitants are mushroom people, and she’s one of the few non-fungi humanoids around.
- Derryth claims that her husband, Baelen, hasn’t returned yet, and she’s gotten worried. She also adds that he’s been out looking for a unique plant known as a Noblestalk.
Where to Find Baelen and How to Rescue Him
You can do the Baldur’s Gate 3 Find the Mushroom Picker objective by going past the Myconid Colony. You should then reach a cavernous area with bright green Bibberbang growths (X:-20; Y:-79). It’s actually fairly close to the Sussur Tree area, which you visit as part of the Finish the Masterwork Weapon quest.
In any case, Baelen is in the middle of the fungi, and getting too close would cause a massive explosion. Here’s what I did:
- First, I ungrouped my party so that only one character was being controlled. You definitely don’t want the entire team moving around and triggering fungi blasts.
- I used Gale, since he’s a Wizard with access to the Misty Step spell. I was able to teleport to a safe spot near Baelen’s backpack.
- I picked up the backpack and threw it near Baelen’s feet. I also made sure to avoid hitting him directly. Since he had low HP, any direct damage would’ve killed him.
- Baelen then used his own Misty Step scroll from his bag (this is automatic), allowing him to escape unharmed.
How to Get the Noblestalk
Now that you’ve saved the Mushroom Picker in Baldur’s Gate 3, it’s time to get the Noblestalk. It’s in the same area. Basically, if you were facing Baelen’s spot before, it’s just to the right of your screen.
In my case, I just used Lae’zel for this one. Since she had high Strength, that meant that she had greater jump distance. I leaped from one safe spot to another until I was able to grab the Noblestalk. Once finished, I just made a run for it to avoid the deadly explosions.
With your tasks done, you can return to Derryth in the Myconid Colony. She’ll reward you with the Gloves of Uninhibited Kushigo, which makes your character deal an additional 1d4 damage with thrown items and attacks made with improvised weapons. Moreover, if you give her the Noblestalk, she’ll be ecstatic, and she promises to welcome you to her shop much later during the game’s third act.
That’s how to Find the Mushroom Picker in Baldur’s Gate 3. With a bit of careful planning, you won’t need to worry about unfortunate mishaps with exploding fungi. For more tips and tactics, visit our BG3 guides hub.