The NPCs in Dark Souls 3 have the most entangling, branching, and downright intriguing storylines in the Souls series to date. One could argue that completing all the NPC quests properly is the most difficult chore in this grueling adventure. But much like the rest of Dark Souls 3, all the self-inflicted pain pays off in the end. That’s why we created this complete guide to NPC questlines to help you out.
Looking for NPCs like Greirat, Irina, or Yoel? Check out the Complete Guide to Firelink Shrine.
I’m sure you’ve guessed it, but there are spoilers ahead. If you haven’t finished the game yet, bookmark this page for later and turn back. You could always skim over our Beginner’s Guide if you’re having trouble getting started.
Still reading? Excellent. Enjoy your spoilers.
Hawkwood is likely the first NPC you will meet in Dark Souls 3. He likes to sit on the right landing leading down to the bonfire in Firelink Shrine. At times he wonders off to kneel in front of a gravestone near the shrine, but otherwise he doesn’t move much.
When to talk to Hawkwood
- Speak to Hawkwood at the beginning of the game and you will receive the Collapse gesture.
- Speak to Hawkwood after killing the Curse-Rotted Greatwood to receive a Heavy Gem. If you don’t get anything, come back after Crystal Sage.
- After killing the Abyss Watchers, speak with Hawkwood and he gives you the Farron Ring.
- Once all 3 of the aforementioned bosses are all dead, Hawkwood will leave Firelink Shrine after a time, leaving his shield with Andre as a gift to you. If you don’t pick up his shield from Andre, you can still find it in front of the grave Hawkwood used to visit.
- He can be summoned in the Consumed King’s Garden for Oceiros, the Consumed King.
- He can also be summoned near the 3rd bonfire at Archdragon Peak, though he will not help with the boss.
- From the 3rd bonfire at Archdragon Peak, go up the path, fighting your way through the horde of enemies. Stand directly in front of the shrine at the top and perform the Path of the Dragon gesture.
- After receiving your reward from the shrine, head back to Firelink and speak with Andre.
- Meet Hawkwood by the Abyss Watcher’s bonfire. If you die, don’t worry; you can try again until you succeed.
While Hawkwood’s questline is relatively straightforward, the reward for seeing it through is a delight.
Leonhard is encountered by Lothric’s throne in Firelink Shrine not long after the start of the game. He’s the NPC responsible for introducing the player to the invader covenant in Dark Souls 3.
When to talk to Leonhard
- Speak with Leonhard in Firelink Shrine after lighting the Tower on the Wall bonfire at the High Wall of Lothric. If he’s not there, come back after killing Vordt of the Boreal Valley. He will give you 5 Cracked Red Eye Orbs to invade other players online. You don’t have to use them, they’re just a gift.
- After obtaining a Pale Tongue, return to Leonhard in Firelink Shrine. He will give you a key to open a passage under the Tower on the Wall bonfire.
- Unlock the door on the bottom floor of the tower and head down the elevator. Prepare yourself for a fight. After vanquishing the dark warrior you will receive the Red Eye Orb.
- Return to Leonhard to get the Applause gesture. He will implore you to join the invader covenant in Cathedral of the Deep.
- From the Cleansing Chapel bonfire in Cathedral of the Deep, head out the last shortcut door and up the elevator to the left. Climb up the ladder and jump down onto the arch of the building. At the top of the arch, turn right and then take your first left. Carefully kill the knights on the other side of the rafters, then head to where the greatsword wielder was standing. Roll off the rafters onto the platform below, then fall again onto the wooden steps. From here, make your way through the slug enemies and head through the large set of double doors shrouded by a broken metal gate. Request to join Rosaria’s Fingers.
- Equip Rosaria’s Fingers in the Covenant slot or offer a Pale Tongue to Rosaria.
- Refresh the area (warp, quit and continue, etc.) and speak to Leonhard, who is now in Rosaria’s Bedchamber. Exhaust his dialogue.
- Refresh the area again and pick up the Black Eye Orb from Rosaria.
- From Aldrich’s bonfire, head up one of the two lifts and use the Black Eye Orb.
Please note, if you wish to finish Sirris’s questline within the same playthrough, DO NOT give Rosaria any Pale Tongues or equip the Rosaria’s Fingers covenant item. Doing either will turn Sirris hostile. Instead, wait until her story comes to a conclusion before finishing Leonhard’s.
Siegward of Catarina
Siegward is a charming Knight of Catarina that prefers to head into combat with a thought-out plan and a bottle of Siegbrau to toast the victory. His valor and jovial demeanor is unmatched in a game as grim and apocalyptic as Dark Souls 3.
When to talk to Siegward
- Siegward is first encountered in the Undead Settlement trying to puzzle out the elevator of the tower found near Irina and Eygon. Exhaust his dialogue then run through the elevator, activating the switch and hopping back off. Another elevator platform will appear from above. Take it up the tower; you might as well befriend the giant while you’re at it.
- On the way back down, roll off the elevator when you come to a middle platform and walk outside. Speak with Siegward again.
- Drop down and attack the Fire Demon. Siegward will follow you into combat as soon as you catch its aggro. After the battle, exhaust his dialogue. He’ll give you a Siegbrau, the Toast gesture, and the Sleep gesture.
- After opening the big blue double doors across from Rosaria’s Bedchamber, Siegward will appear inside of a well just outside the Cleansing Chapel. It appears his armor is missing.
- After retrieving Siegward’s armor from Unbreakable Patches, head back to the well near the Cleansing Chapel bonfire and throw it down to him.
- The next time you see Siegward will be in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. From the Distant Manor bonfire, head up the stairs and hug the right wall. Enter the sewer and make your way through the spider ladies and up the stairs to find him sitting at the other end of the room. He’ll give you Emit Force as thanks for getting his armor back. If Greirat is out scavenging in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, DO NOT talk to Siegward or enter Irithyll Dungeon. If you do, Greirat will die.
- Enter Irithyll Dungeon and be sure to pick up the Old Cell Key. Through a nearby window you can see Siegward in a cell. You can speak to him through the window if you so desire.
- From the Profaned Capital bonfire, head down the smaller ladder inside and drop out from the hole in the wall. Follow the path to the church surrounded by a toxic lake and make your way up the ladder. From the top of the building near the broken window that leads down to some loot and a giant hand, face the stairs. There should be another broken window that you must jump through in order to reach Siegward’s cell. He’ll give you a Titanite Slab for setting him free. If Yhorm the Giant is already dead, kill Siegward now to get his armor set.
- Approach the Yhorm the Giant boss fog gate and Siegward will join you for the battle. Keep Siegward alive while you take out Yhrom. You can always warp out if things get shaky. If you’re teleported away after the fight (from killing your 3rd Lord of Cinder), return to the boss room later to reap your rewards.
Patches first appears through Siegward of Catarina’s questline and becomes a merchant located in the upper-right section of Firelink Shrine after he’s had his fill of tricking the player.
When to talk to Patches
- Patches’ first encounter is entirely optional and all too easy to miss. First, make your way to the Deacons of the Deep fog gate then go up the elevator and open the big blue double doors across the way from Rosaria’s Bedchamber. Make sure you haven’t raised the bridge yet. Once the doors are open, warp away and trek back to that area to find “Siegward of Catarina” with the bridge now up. Upon exhausting his dialogue and attempting to cross the bridge, a cut-scene will trigger. Patches removes his disguise and drops the bridge down to giant level.
- Visit Patches near the Rosaria’s Bedchamber bonfire. Correct Patches when he feigns ignorance to get the Prostration gesture. He’ll become a merchant on the spot. You can buy Siegward’s armor off of him at this point.
- After encountering Patches in the Cathedral of the Deep, talking to Siegward in the well, or defeating the Deacons of the Deep, Patches will come to Firelink Shrine. Head up the tower and go up the elevator leading to the bell. Take the elevator back down to find yourself in front of a locked door with Patches on the other side.
- Warp back to the Firelink Shrine bonfire and head up the stairs towards the entrance. Hang a left up the set of stairs leading to the tower and walk to the back of the hall. Patches will be here. If you choose not to forgive him, you’ll get a Rusted Gold Coin and the Prostration gesture if you missed it earlier.
- Sometimes Patches can be found squatting. Interact with him when he is to get the Patches Squat gesture.
- If Greirat is out plundering Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, Patches will not let you access his shop until you tell him where Greirat went. If you tell Patches, he will head out to Irithyll and save Greirat.
If, for whatever reason, you send Greirat out a 3rd time, Patches will again ask where he went off to. However, even if you tell Patches, he will not be able to save Greirat.
Anri of Astora
Anri is hands-down the most unique character in Dark Souls 3. For starters, Anri can be either a woman or a man, always opposite of your player character. You will first encounter them in the Halfway Keep on the Road of Sacrifices alongside their companion Horace the Hushed.
When to talk to Anri
- Speak with Anri and Horace at Halfway Keep, fully exhausting Anri’s dialogue.
- After killing Deacons of the Deep, return to Firelink Shrine and speak with Anri and Horace near Ludleth’s throne.
- In the Catacombs of Carthus near the large staircase with the rolling ball of skeletons, speak with Anri. They tell you they’re looking for Horace.
- Descend into Smouldering Lake and hug the right wall. Enter the cave to find Horace. He will attack you on sight. Kill him.
- Return the to rickety bridge before the High Lord Wolnir fight and speak to Anri. Tell them where you found Horace to get the Ring of the Evil Eye. If they’re not here, just continue on to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.
At this point, Anri’s questline splits into two major sections. I’ll refer to the split lines as Anri’s Complete Quest and Anri’s Dark Sigil Quest.
Anri’s Complete Quest
In this section we’ll see Anri’s quest through the “good” ending to completion. In other words, this is the ending that will show you more of Anri’s character, though neither ending is technically incorrect.
- When you come across the Church of Yorshka bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, speak with Anri and exhaust their dialogue. You will receive the Quiet Resolve gesture. After that, go around the room and slash at the statues. There’s a menace hiding in the room using the Chameleon spell. Make sure the threat is dead. If Yuria is at Firelink Shrine, she will leave and you will miss your chance at seeing her unique ending.
- Go to Anor Londo and find Anri’s summon sign near the main gates of the cathedral. Use it to go to their world and defeat the boss. Don’t let Anri die. If things get shaky, warp out.
- After the fight, head back to Firelink Shrine and speak with Ludleth. He’ll give you Anri’s sword.
- If you told Anri of Smouldering Lake, they will be where Horace fell. If not, you can find them near the entrance to Cathedral of the Deep. Anri is hostile and will attack you on sight.
Anri’s Dark Sigil Quest
If your Dark Sigil is at level 5, then following this questline will unlock the alternate ending that Yuria has promised you. Be sure not to cure the Dark Sigil throughout any of this.
- Anri will go to the Church of Yorshka bonfire after telling them of Horace. Exhaust their dialogue and receive the Quiet Resolve gesture. Ignore the out-of-place statue.
- After defeating Pontiff Sulyvahn, return to Firelink Shrine and speak with Yuria.
- Before the lift to the Anor Londo bonfire is a statue of Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight. It’s an illusion, roll through it. Speak with the pilgrim and receive the ceremonial item.
- Head down the hall. You’ll find Anri at the end. Interact with them to trigger a cutscene. Afterwards you’ll gain 3 Dark Sigils, bringing you to a maximum of 8, unlocking the alternate ending. You’ll also get Anri’s sword.
- Do not cure the Dark Sigil until the credits have rolled. Purging Stones and other hollow-reversing items are fine to use. Enjoy your alternate ending.
Sirris of the Sunless Realms
Sirris is on of the more intriguing characters in Dark Souls 3. She acts rather aloof at first glance, though once you begin to earn her trust, her story really starts to spill forth.
When to talk to Sirris
- After activating the Halfway Keep bonfire on the Road of Sacrifices, return to Firelink Shrine and speak to Sirris. You can’t miss her, she’s on the steps in your view when you spawn.
- After giving the Dreamchaser’s Ashes to the Shrine Handmaid, refresh the area and speak with Sirris again. You will learn the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture.
- After reaching Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and crossing the barrier, refresh the world at the bonfire and backtrack across the bridge. Sirris’s summon sign will take you to her world to help with an invader.
- Return to Firelink Shrine and she’ll give you a Blessed Mail Breaker for your troubles.
- After defeating 2 Lords of Cinder, return to the boss room where you first encountered the Curse-Rotted Greatwood. Sirris’s summon sign will be right before the giant hole in the ground. You’ll be summoned into another invasion. After the fight there will be some unique loot in front of a grave near Firelink Shrine.
- Return to Firelink Shrine and speak with Sirris. She will ask to become your knight. Agree and she will help with the final 3 boss fights of the game. Refuse and she’ll end up hostile in the Pit of Hollows.
- Return to the grave near Firelink Shrine after the Twin Princes battle to find her Sunless Talisman.
And that’s how to complete every NPC questline in Dark Souls 3. Remember to check out the Complete Guide to Firelink Shrine if you didn’t find who you were looking for here.
(Image Source: Fextralife Wiki)