The further you progress through the game in Mount and Blade 2, the bigger army you will have. This guide will provide you with tips on how to own a settlement in Bannerlord, which you’re going to need to manage your army.
There are two ways of achieving this goal. One is more suitable for new players than the other, but you probably should try both and find the best solution for yourself.
Besiege a Castle
The best way to own a settlement in Bannerlord is to besiege a castle. You can do this with the help of an army of troops by following these steps:
- Choose a castle of an enemy faction
- Click on the castle
- Select “Besiege the Castle” in the castle menu
- Build Siege Camp near the castle
- Select “Continue the Siege” in the castle menu
- Choose “Lead an Assault” option
This will instigate a battle, which you have to win. It is also recommended to build a Battering Ram in addition to your Siege Camp in order to increase your chances.
When the battle is over, you will automatically become the owner of your new settlement.
Become a Vassal
This is another option, which is a bit worse than actually fighting for your own castle.
If you become somebody’s vassal you will not own the castle per se, but live there under the protection of your lord, who can take it from you anytime if they don’t like what you’re doing.
Think twice before going for this choice, although it may be a great way to own a settlement for new players, who can’t afford a big army.
Follow these steps to become a vassal:
- Talk to any friendly noble you wish to serve
- Choose the following dialogue sequence:
- “There is something I wish to discuss”
- “I wish to be more than a mercenary. Is there a way I could pledge myself as a vassal?”
- “I am ready”
- “I swear homage to you as lawful king”
- Confirm the allegiance by selecting “I give you my word and bond”
After this dialogue, you will fight for this lord’s army, and if you’re lucky, you will get to live in one of the castles under the rule of this lord.
That’s all on how to own a settlement in Bannerlord. For more Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord guides, check out the list below:
- Trade Guide
- Cheats and How to Activate Them
- How to Declare War
- How to Start Your Own Kingdom
- How to Execute Prisoners