The Parachute is one of the most important pieces of equipment in GTA 5 Online, once you unlock it. Giving you new means by which to complete missions and escape pursuits more effectively, you’ll wonder how you played without it. Here’s how to get and use a Parachute.
How do You Get a Parachute in GTA 5 Online?
The Parachute becomes available for purchase at the Ammu-Nation store for $18,500 only after you complete the “Minor Turbulence” mission. This mission starts when Franklin Clinton goes to the De Santa Residence at Portola Drive (map marker below).
Once you finish watching the cutscene, follow these steps to complete the mission:
- Enter the crop duster at the McKenzie Aifrfield in Grapeseed (map marker below).
- Follow the large cargo plane that took off prior.
- Fly low to the ground (no higher than 50 feet), so that radar won’t detect you.
- Approach the rear of the cargo plane and fly inside it.
- Defeat all the enemies inside the cargo plane.
- Enter the pilot’s booth and take control over the cargo plane.
- Turn around the plane back to the McKenzie Airfield.
- Keep the plane high enough to jump with the parachute.
Once you jump and land safely, the mission will be over with the following rewards unlocked:
- Parachute at Ammu-Nation.
- Railgun at Ammu-Nation (enhanced version).
- Homing Launcher at Ammu-Nation.
- Play as Michael and Trevor again.
- Free Parachutes in any aircraft.
How to Use a Parachute
Once you purchase the parachute, the option to deploy it will appear automatically during the fall from a high altitude. If you choose to deploy it, follow these instructions:
- Once you jump out of the aircraft or atop a tall building, don’t deploy the Parachute just yet.
- You should glide for a short time with your arms and legs spread out before deploying.
- Once deployed, use navigational buttons to control your trajectory.
- Before landing, pull back a little for safety reasons, using the following controls:
- LB/RB on Xbox
- L1/R1 on PlayStation
- Shift on PC
In case you need to indicate your landing trajectory and spot to other players, then I recommend purchasing and using a colored Parachute Smoke. Once you feel the need to use it, press the following button:
- A on Xbox
- X on PlayStation
- X on PC
Why is a Parachute is Useful?
One of the best uses of a Parachute in GTA Online, besides the compulsory use during specific missions, is the ability to reach out of the way and otherwise impervious locations. Such areas as Cayo Perico and Mount Chiliad have plenty of spots that can be reached only via a Parachute landing.
But my personal favorite method is to use the Parachute to escape a pursuit via tall buildings. It gives you so much leverage, and once you jump off and fly away into the distance, the police can’t keep up — even in their cars.
Lastly, you can use the Parachute for reconnaissance by checking the unknown areas from a high altitude before venturing in there.
What is the Parachute Code?
If you don’t want to do the “Minor Turbulence” mission, but you still want to be able to use the Parachute when you need it, then you can use special cheat codes. If you play GTA Online on PC, then you need to open the mobile phone and enter the following number to spawn a Parachute:
- 1-999-759-3483 (1-999-SKYDIVE)
Console players need to press specific buttons to enable the cheat that gives the Parachute. Here’s what you need to do:
- Xbox: LEFT, RIGHT, LB, LT, RB, RT, RT, LEFT, LEFT, RIGHT, LB
- PlayStation: LEFT, RIGHT, L1, L2, R1, R2, R2, LEFT, LEFT, RIGHT, L1
How do You Unlock Parachute Missions?
There’s a number of Parachute missions in GTA 5 Online that you might want to complete after unlocking the Parachute in the Ammu-Nation store. But you can also do the following steps to unlock these missions even before that:
- Reach Rank 10 and complete Dom’s mission “Risk Assassment.”
- Call Lester Crest to unlock bounty missions, which also unlock Parachute missions.
All Parachute Missions List
I also gathered a complete list of all Parachute missions in GTA Online for your convenience, right here:
- There are 44 Parachuting Jobs given by Dom Weasely.
- There are five Heist Jobs that require a Parachute:
- Prison Break: Station.
- The Prison Break.
- The Humane Labs Raid.
- The Diamond Casino Heist.
- The Cayo Perico Heist.
How to Start a Parachute Mission
All Parachute missions are triggered in a specific way and grants you the Flying Skill stat, which increases the more missions you complete. Here’s how you can start the Parachute missions:
- Start the game in Freemode.
- Go to the “Pause Menu” screen.
- Enter the “Jobs List” menu.
- Enter the Blue Corona at a specific location for the chosen mission.
Note that these missions can be played by up to eight players at once, where you compete against each other by reaching a number of checkpoints.
That’s everything you need to know on how to get and use a Parachute in GTA Online. Stay tuned for more GTAO tips and tricks articles, including all Salvage Yard locations and how to increase your stats.