Champion Masteries: What You Need to Know About Season 5
Good news, Summoners: Riot decided not to leave the masteries alone as we enter Season 5 of League of Legends. This means that if you were an active LoL player during Season 4, you should already be familiar with champion masters in Season 5.
People like me who only play LoL on and off probably need a refresher course. You know, so you don't panic after you've locked in your champion and realize you've never seen these masteries before in your life.
If you play an ADC or AP Carry you're probably familiar with the Offense Mastery Tree. As the name suggests, most of the masteries in this tree are geared boosting your Champion's attack,
Double-Edged Sword: Ranged - deal an additional 1.5% damage and receive an additional 1.5% damage. Melee - deal an additional 2% damage and receive and additional 1% damage.
- Rank 1: 1.25% Attack Speed
- Rank 2: 2.50% Attack Speed
- Rank 3: 3.75% Attack Speed
- Rank 4: 5.00% Attack Speed
- Rank 1: 1.25% Cooldown Reduction
- Rank 2: 2.50% Cooldown Reduction
- Rank 3: 3.75% Cooldown Reduction
- Rank 4: 5.00% Cooldown Reduction
Butcher: Basic Attacks and single target spells deal an additional 2 damage to minions and monsters. This does not trigger off of area of effect damage or damage over time effects.
Expose Weakness: Damaging an enemy with a spell increases allied champions' damage to that enemy by 1% for the next three seconds.
- Rank 1: +4 Attack Damage at level 18 (+0.22 Attack Damage per level)
- Rank 2: +7 Attack Damage at level 18 (+0.39 Attack Damage per level)
- Rank 3: +10 Attack Damage at level 18 (+0.55 Attack Damage per level)
- Rank 1: +6 Ability Power at level 18 (+0.33 Ability Power per level)
- Rank 2: +11 Ability Power at level 18 (+0.61 Ability Power per level)
- Rank 3: +16 Ability Power at level 18 (+0.89 Ability Power per level)
Feast (Requires Butcher): Killing a unit restores 3 health and 1 mana.
Spell Weaving: Damaging an enemy champion with a Basic Attack increase Spell Damage by 1% stacking up to 3 times (max 3% damage increase)
Marshall Mastery (Requires Brute Force): +4 Attack Damage
Arcane Mastery (Requires Mental Force): +6 Ability Power
- Rank 1: Increases damage dealt to champions below 20% health by 5%
- Rank 2: Increases damage dealt to champions below 35% health by 5%
- Rank 3: Increases damage dealt to champions below 50% health by 5%
Blade Weaving (Requires Spell Weaving): Damaging an enemy champion with a spell increases Basic Attack damage by 1% stacking up to 3 times (max 3% damage increase). This cannot trigger more than once a second.
- Increases Bonus Attack Damage by 2.0%
- Increases Bonus Attack Damage by 3.5%
- Increases Bonus attack Damage by 5.0%
- Increases bonus Ability Power by 2.0%
- Increases bonus Ability Power by 3.5%
- Increases bonus Ability Power by 5.0%
Dangerous Game (Requires Executioner): Killing a champion receives 5% missing Health and Mana.
Frenzy: Critical hits grant 5% attack speed for three seconds (stacks up to three times)
- 2% Armor and Magic penetration
- 4% Armor and Magic penetration
- 6% Armor and Magic penetration
Arcane Blade: Basic Attacks also deal bonus magic equal to 5% of Ability Power.
Havoc: 3% increased damage.
I'm not going to lie, I use the defense tree to half my champions just because I like the added Health and Armor. If you're going to be playing some sort of Tank or Support character, the Defense Tree may be where you want to spend the most points.
- Reduces incoming damage from champion basic attacks by 1
- Reduces incoming damage from champion basic attacks by 2
- +1 health per 5 seconds
- +2 health per 5 seconds
- Increases bonus Armor and Magic Resistance by 2.5%
- Increases bonus Armor and Magic Resistance by 5.0%
- Reduces damage taken from neutral monsters by 1. This does not affect lane minions.
- Reduces damage taken from neutral monsters by 2. This does not affect lane minions.
Unyielding (Requires Block): Melee- reduces all incoming damage from champions by 2. Ranged - reduces all incoming damage from Champions by 1.
- +12 Health
- +24 Health
- +36 Health
Bladed Armor (Requires Tough Skin): Taking Basic Attack damage from neutral monsters cause them to bleed, dealing damage equal to 1% of their current health each second. This does not work against lane minions.
Oppression: Reduce damage taken by 3% from enemies that have impaired movement (slows, snares, taunts, stuns, etc.)
Juggernaut (Requires Veteran Scars): +3% maximum health
- +2.0 Armor
- +3.5 Armor
- +5.0 Armor
- +2.0 Magic Resistance
- +3.5% Magic Resistance
- +5.0% Magic Resistance
- Regenerates 0.35% missing Health every 5 seconds
- Regenerates 0.675% missing Health every 5 seconds
- Regenerates 1% missing Health every 5 seconds
Swiftness: Reduces the effectiveness of slows by 10%
Reinforced Armor (requires Hardiness): Reduces damage taken by critical strikes by 10%
Evasive (requires Resistance): Reduces damage taken by 4% from Area of Effect damage
Second Wind (requires Perseverance): Increases self-healing, Health Regen, Lifesteal, and Spellvamp when below 25% Health
- +1 Armor and 0.5 Magic Resistance for each nearby enemy champion
- +2 Armor and 1.0 Magic Resistance for each nearby enemy champion
- +3 Armor and 1.5 Magic Resistance for each nearby enemy champion
- +4 Armor and 2.0 Magic Resistance for each nearby enemy champion
Runic Blessing: Start the game with a 50 Health shield. This shield regenerates each time after respawning.
Tenacious: Reduces the duration of crowd control effects by 15%
The Utility tree offers masteries that boost items, give your champions gold, health regeneration, and increased speed. This is another great tree for support champions, and it makes a great secondary page for most roles.
Phasewalker: Reduces the casting time of Recall by 1 second.
Fleet of Foot
- +0.5% Movement Speed
- +1.0% Movement Speed
- +1.5% Movement Speed
- +1 Mana Regen per 5 seconds
- +2 Mana Regen per 5 seconds
- +3 Mana Regen per 5 seconds
- Increases the cast range of trinket items by 15%
- Reduces the cooldown of Summoner Spells by 4%
- Reduces the cooldown of Summoner Spells by 7%
- Reduces the cooldown of Summoner Spells by 10%
Strength of Spirit (Requires Meditation): +1 Health Regen per 5 seconds for every 300 maximum mana
Alchemist: Increases the duration of potions and elixirs by 10%
- +0.5 gold per every 10 seconds
- +1.0 gold per every 10 seconds
- +1.5 gold per every 10 seconds
Runic Affinity: Increases the duration of shrine, relic, quest, and neutral monsters buffs by 20%
- +1 Lifesteal and Spellvamp
- +2 Lifesteal and Spellvamp
- +3 Lifesteal and Spellvamp
Culinary Master (requires Alchemist): Health potions are upgraded into Biscuits that restore an additional 20 health and 10 mana instantly upon consumption.
Scavenger (requires Greed): +1 gold each time an ally kills a nearby lane minion
Wealth: +40 Starting gold
- +2.0% increased maximum mana
- +3.5% increased maximum mana
- +5.0% increased maximum mana
- +5 Experience every 10 seconds while near a higher level allied champion
- +10 Experience every 10 seconds while near a higher level allied champion
Bandit (requires Wealth): Melee - grants +15 Gold on champion kill or assist. Ranged - grants +3 Gold each time an enemy champion is attacked. This cannot trigger on the same champion more than once every 5 seconds.
- 2.0% Cooldown reduction and reduces the cooldown of Activated Items by 4%
- 3.5% Cooldown reduction and reduces the cooldown of Activated Items by 7%
- 5.0% Cooldown reduction and reduces the cooldown of Activated Items by 10%
Wanderer: +5 Movement Speed out of combat