Red Dead Redemption 2: Legendary Bear Pelt Location and Tips
One of the early missions in Red Dead Redemption 2 has you chasing a legendary bear with Hosea. During the mission you come literally face to face with this monster of an animal, but you can't finish the hunt during the mission.
I'm going to go over everything you need to know to take this bear out and what to do with the legendary pelt you can skin from it.
Preparation and Hunting
The first thing you'll want to do is come prepared. If you didn't succeed the first time, or went back to camp instead, that's perfectly fine! Here are a few things I suggest before going on the hunt:
- Repeater or Rifle - You can put a scope on it, but it is not necessary.
- Provisions and Tonics to increase Dead Eye - You'll want to finish the bear while using Dead Eye if possible.
- Patience and Perseverance - Things can go south pretty fast. So you may need to retry.
Now for the actual hunt. If you open your map and look towards the Grizzlies and zoom in, you'll see a bear icon with a crown over its head. This means it is the legendary bear.
The Grizzlies is located north of Emerald Ranch, or northeast of Valentine. I already had Emerald Ranch discovered so I found it easiest to take the train from Valentine to Emerald Ranch once I had my supplies.
Once you reach the location, look to the top-left of your screen. You will see a message that says you've entered the legendary animal's area. Then it will say you can either track it, you can't track it because there is too much activity in the area, or it won't be back for some time.
You will need to leave the area, pass time by sleeping at a camp, and come back until you get the message that says you can track it. Once you're ready, just turn on Eagle Eye and follow the yellow clues until you reach the bear. I've always seen it in the same spot, between some trees.
- Start by using your rifle from a far distance, then wait for it to get in clear sight.
- Now, just use Dead Eye and target the head as much as possible.
- As soon as it run out, just activate it again. Doing this two or three times should be enough to kill it.
- If it reaches you, you can attempt to escape by pressing "B" or "O", but I was not able to escape in time on my first attempt.
Congratulations on your first legendary animal kill! Now let's go over what you can do with the pelt that you skin from it.
Crafting at the Trapper
You will need to take the legendary bear pelt to the Trapper to be able to craft anything. The easiest way to find him is to open the map, choose locations, and scroll down until you reach Trapper. Now, just set a way point and make your way to him.
If he is far away and you are near a train, you can use this to get closer. If you keep the pelt on your horse and use a train, the horse will show up at your destination and still have the pelt!
When you reach the Trapper, take the pelt and sell it to him. You will get $60, and have the option to craft special clothing. Below is a list of what you can craft.
- Legendary Bear Head Hat - Requires legendary bear pelt.
- Provides some warmth.
- Legendary Bear Coat - Requires legendary bear pelt and perfect bison pelt.
- Provides much warmth. Too warm for hot weather.
- Legendary Bear Roper - Requires legendary bear pelt and perfect bull hide.
- Provides no warmth, good in hot weather.
The last item doesn't require the legendary bear, but I will list it anyway since it is part of the set.
- Boar Riding Gloves - Requires perfect boar pelt and two perfect rabbit pelts.
Luckily, you only need one pelt to craft all three items. You will only need to get the extra materials for the coat and roper.
That's all there is to know to hunt the first legendary bear in Red Dead Redemption 2 and what to do with its pelt. Be sure to check out our other Red Dead Redemption 2 guides. Leave a comment down below if you have any questions or need more help!