Sons of the Forest: How to Increase FPS
FPS drops have been a common thing for almost all Sons of the Forest players since launch at Steam Early Access regardless of the system configuration. The game still requires a ton of optimization, but before that happens our guide will provide you with tips on how to increase FPS in Sons of the Forest.
How to Improve FPS in Sons of the Forest
Turn Down Your Graphics Settings
This should be one of the first things you try. Turn down the following settings to gauge their impact on your FPS:
- Ambient Occlusion
- View Distance
- Shadow Quality
Disable Fullscreen Optimization
Many new PC games have a problem with fullscreen optimization, but if you're playing the game in Steam, then here is a working solution to that issue:
- Press the Start button in Windows.
- Type in "Sons of the Forest" in the search box.
- Right-click on the Sons of the Forest application.
- Select "Open folder with this file" option.
- Right-click on "sonsoftheforest.exe" file.
- Select "Properties" option.
- Go to "Compatibility" tab.
- Check "Disable fullscreen optimization" option.
Once you apply the changes, you won't notice a significant FPS boost, but many players have reported that it did give extra 5 to 10 FPS.
Enable Borderless Window Mode
This related simple action could add another 5 to 10 FPS to your overall count, and all you need to do is switch to Windowed Borderless in your graphics settings. Here's what you need to do:
- Go to the game's Options menu.
- Select "Display" tab.
- Click "Fullscreen" under the resolution option.
- Choose "Windowed Borderless".
- Click "Apply" to save settings.
Update Your DLSS Libraries
Players who use the RTX line of nVidia GPUs can also update their DLSS libraries to the latest version, as the one installed by default in Sons of the Forest may cause some memory leaks. Follow these steps to update your DLSS:
- Go to DLSS PowerUp webpage.
- Download the latest version of the DLSS libraries.
- Go to "\Steam\steamapps\common\sonsoftheforest\" folder on your PC.
- Delete the old "nvngx_dlss.dll" file.
- Copy and paste the new DLSS libraries .zip file into the folder and unpack it.
You should turn your DLSS to Balanced in addition to updating it.
Set the Game's Priority to High
The last thing you can do is set the game's priority to "High" in the Task Manager. Here's what you need to do:
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL key combination.
- Select "Task Manager" option.
- Go to "Details" tab.
- Right-click on Sons of the Forest.
- Set "High" in the "Set Priority" field.
If you apply all the steps listed above, then you may see quite a significant increase to your FPS in Sons of the Forest. For more tips and tricks articles, go to our Sons of the Forest guides page here.
Featured image via Endnight Games