Destiny 2: How to Farm Essence of the Dawning
Essence of the Dawning is a necessary ingredient for baking holiday cookies in Destiny 2's Dawning event. Essence of the Dawning is a consumable material that comes from almost any activity in the game.
Below we outline which activities are the best for farming Essence efficiently, and we go over four Essence farming methods.
Where to Find and Farm Essence of the Dawning
Almost any and every activity in Destiny 2 rewards Essence of the Dawning. Activities include:
- Public Events
- Gambit Matches
- Crucible Matches
- Story Missions
- Dawning Weekly Bounties
There's a kicker, though. Different Destiny 2 activities grant different quantities of Essence. Some Crucible playlists (Classic Mix) give very little Essence. Most others give between 10-15 Essence.
Essence of the Dawning Farming Method One
By far the best Essence of the Dawning farm in Year 4 is the Wrathborn Hunt activity. The best of them take only three minutes or so to complete solo and award between 10-15 Essence when completed. If possible, upgrade the Hunt to Tier 2 to guarantee 15 Essence per run.
Accessible as part of Season of the Hunt (Season 12), using either by defeating Savek (the Fallen Captain available from the start on the Tangled Shore) or Xillox (the Hive Wizard available through upgrades in the Dreaming City).
Here's how to farm Essence of the Dawning with Wrathborn Hunts.
- Have at least 1 Lure Charge already in the Cryptolith Lure. You gain charges through playing Strikes, Gambit, Crucible, and other core activities.
- Fill the Lure with your preferred target and two Lure Mods, preferably Tier 2.
- Activate the Cryptolith in the Tangled Shore or Dreaming City and deal enough damage to the Wrathborn to send it running. Start tracking it and activate the Hunt Activity from the world node.
- Once in the Wrathborn Hunt activity, go into your Cryptolith Lure menu screen and reset the Lure. This will refund all materials used but will not end the Hunt.
- Complete the Hunt as normal, but before you leave, fill the Lure again with your target and any mods.
- Repeat ad infinitum.
Essence of the Dawning Farming Method Two
Strikes. Endless, endless strikes.
You'll average 10-15 minutes per strike and around 15 Essence for each completion. Add in strike weekly and repeatable bounties (easy as pie to complete), and you'll be farming Bright Dust alongside Essence of the Dawning.
Essence of the Dawning Farming Method Three
The final Essence of the Dawning farm is as old as Destiny 2: Public Events on big maps like Nessus or the EDZ. Once you start one event, make it Heroic, then immediately fast travel to another landing zone with another active event.
Stay on the bigger maps, as they've got the highest concentration of possible active events. In many cases, events don't take much more than five minutes or so to complete.
As with Heroic Story missions, you'll net around five Essence per event, but if you can string them together, the gains are juicy.
And there you have it: four great farm methods to maximize your Essence of the Dawning collection so you're ready to bake every cookie in the game.
Check our these other Destiny 2 guides while you're here: