How to Connect PS4 Controller to PC
Wondering how to connect a PS4 controller to your PC? We've got you covered.
While the initial process for connecting an Xbox Controller to your PC isn't too strenuous, connecting a PS4 controller isn't as intuitive. Luckily, it's simpler than you might think. Once connected, the PS4 controller is incredibly easy to use on PC; you can even configure the trackpad as a workable mouse!
The DualShock 4 can also be used for a wide array of games across many launchers, such Steam, Origin, Epic Store, and more.
Here is what you'll need to get started:
- A PS4 Dualshock controller
- A Micro-USB cable
- Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adapter
- If your PC doesn't support Bluetooth
How to Connect PS4 Controller to PC
1. Connecting to Steam via Wired Connection
This is perhaps your easiest and most efficient method for connecting your PS4 controller to your PC.
Ensure your Steam App is up to date to the latest client. Once this is done, simply plug your PS4 controller to the PC via micro-USB and you're good to go.
It's as easy as that. Just ensure that the games you're wanting to play are compatible with controller support. You can see if a game has controller support by going to the game's Steam page and looking at the panel on the far-right side of the page, just to the right of the game's pricing.
Playing with Steam's Big Picture Mode is also advised, as it makes the application easier to use with a controller. It's not necessary, but it helps for a smoother experience.
If you're finding that the PS4 controller isn't working with compatible games, then that's because it can be a bit hit and miss. Unfortunately other game clients such as Epic Games and Origin aren't quite as user-intuitive as Steam and will require the use of DS4Windows or require you add the game(s) into Steam as a non-Steam game.
2. Connect to PC via Bluetooth
With Windows 10, your PC now has the ability to connect to peripherals via Bluetooth if your PC has a built-in Bluetooth card. It's a simple process and can be completed in a couple of minutes without any additional software.
To pair the devices, simply do the following:
- Power on the controller.
- Hold the PS button along with the Share button. Once the controller light starts flashing, it is in Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Open settings on your PC.
- Click Devices, then Bluetooth & other devices.
- Go to Add Bluetooth or other device, then click Bluetooth.
- Once in, click wireless controller. Your PS4 controller is now connected.
This is a quick and simple process. However, you may need to finetune the controller to ensure the experience runs as smoothly as possible. If so, then you're going to need to download DS4Windows.
3. Download DS4Windows
You can download a fantastic application known as DS4Windows, which works to ensure your PS4 controller connects to your PC with ease and allows a variety of customisation. The program allows you to set up controls for specific games, change the lightbar color, and enable even more in-depth controls such as touchpad sensitivity.
To complete this process, you'll need to do the following:
- Download the latest version of DS4Windows here.
- Extract the DS4Windows file and DS4Update file.
- Once both are extracted, run the DS4Windows installer.
- Complete the installation, following the simple instructions on the screen.
- Plug the PS4 controller into the PC to connect the controller.
If you then want to utilize it wirelessly via Bluetooth, then follow these options:
- Hold the PS button in the center of the PS4 controller until the light bar begins to flash.
- Open your Bluetooth settings on your PC.
- Click connect to a Wireless Controller.
- If asked for a pairing code, input 0000.
- Go back to the installer and click finish.
From here, you can use DS4Windows to customize the experience to your liking with button mapping and even tailor your controls for specific games.
4. Using the Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adapter
If your PC doesn't support Bluetooth and you want to play wirelessly, then this is your best bet. It is worth noting that Sony doesn't manufacture these peripherals anymore, so you will be paying reseller prices to obtain one.
If you manage to obtain one, it only takes a few easy steps to set up:
- Plug the Dualshock 4 Wireless Adapter into your PC's USB port.
- Once done, power on your PS4 controller.
- The PC should then detect your controller, and you're good to go.
It's perhaps the simplest method, but it lacks the user controls of DS4Windows.
While not as straightforward as setting up an Xbox controller, the PS4 controller still manages to be an accessible means for PC gaming with a controller.
Once connected, you'll be able to use your controller for a variety of games on numerous clients. It's worth noting that you should check that any game you're playing is controller compatible before running out to purchase one, as not every game is.
Complete these simple steps on how to connect PS4 controller to PC, and you're good to go. Be sure to check GameSkinny for other guides of similar nature.