Halo Wars 2 Blitz Mode Guide
The new Blitz mode in Halo Wars 2 is a fast-paced, action version of the normal RTS game. Games usually don't last as long, and focus more on the deck you create beforehand.
Since this mode is pretty different from the normal game, I'm going to go over some tips to give you an advantage over your opponent. If you want general help with the game, check out my Halo Wars 2 Beginner guide.
This guide will go over everything about Blitz mode in Halo Wars 2, including:
- Blitz Mode Basics - How this new game mode works.
- Blitz Mode Tips - Tips for making decks and playing the game.
Blitz Mode Basics
In this game mode, you fight another player or A.I. to control 3 different zones. You must control at least 2 of these zones to increase your score -- and the first to reach 200, wins.
Scoring will stop when you fall below 2 captured zones, and increases when you have all 3.
Beyond that, you don't build a base and units like in normal gameplay. Instead you will summon units from one of your cards in a deck. You can have 12 cards, either units or powers, to use throughout a match.
When creating a deck, you also choose a leader to use that deck. Some cards can only be used with certain leaders.
Each card takes a certain amount of energy to summon. You can get energy over time, but this isn't enough to play a bunch of cards if you are using high level cards. Energy canisters will spawn throughout the game that you can destroy to get more energy.
Each card has info on it that will help you decide on which to use.
- Card Type - Icon in the top-right shows what type of card it is.
- This is either Infantry, Ground Vehicle, Air Vehicle, or Power.
- Strengths and Weaknesses - The colored units in the middle show what this card is strong against, or weak to fighting.
- Green is strong, Yellow is average, Red is below average, and Gray means this unit cannot attack this type.
- Special Ability - Sometimes a card may have a special ability that happens when you play it, or throughout the battle.
- Reflect, for example, returns 50% of the damage taken back to the attacker.
- Energy Cost - This is how much energy it costs to use this card.
- Rarity - This is how likely you are to get this card.
- The order is White, Green, Purple, and Gold.
Blitz Mode Tips
Gather Energy Drops
Since you don't get much energy and can only spawn units from cards, it is very important to get these energy drops when they appear.
Picking up a lot more energy than your opponent can give you the advantage even if you are losing and they have much better cards than you do.
Make sure you have a variety of cards in your deck
Having a mix of low energy and high energy cards balances out the deck. You need cards you can spawn quickly and take energy with -- but you also need heavy-hitters to defend your bases, or take out enemies.
Putting in 1-3 power cards can also greatly help. There is one card, for example, that can shield your units for a short time. This really turns the tide of battle and can mean the difference between victory and defeat.
Try to spawn units in your base or captured zone
If you spawn a units outside of one of these areas, they will start with half of their health.This will regenerate to full over time, but only if they aren't hit during this time.
Those are all the tips I have for playing Blitz Mode in Halo Wars 2. Let me know if you have any questions!