ArcheAge Skill Set - Defense
With the way the ArcheAge class system works, players will need to know what each skill set brings to the table. In my first series of ArcheAge guides I'll cover each skill set and what they offer.
The Defense skill set is your primary building block for tank builds. Unfortunately, due to the lack of offensive skills, you can't start a character with Defense as the first skill set. Depending on how you want to build your tank, you'll want to go either Battlerage or Vitalism for your starting set. There are a few ways to build a tank, the two I like the best are; Battlerage/Defense/Shadowplay and Vitalism/Defense/Auramancy. The first build gives a balance of offense and defense adding in very mobile abilities. The second is your standard primary tank build, with heals and magic/physical defensive skills.
Here I'll list all the skills of and what they do. I'll split the lists up between active skills and passive skills to make the list easier to read.
These are your attacks, heals, or defensive abilities depending on the skill set.
- Shield Slam: Swings your shield at an enemy to deal Physical Damage and Stun for 1.7 seconds.
- Refreshment: Increases max health for 30 minutes. Increases Mettle upon receiving damage.
- Bull Rush: Shoves an enemy away with your shield, dealing Physical Damage and Disabling magic skills for 3.5 seconds. Also interrupts enemy spellcasting. Increases Aggro by 200% for 5 seconds.
- Boastful Roar: Taunts an enemy, maxes your Aggro and causes the enemy to be shaken for 7 seconds. Reduces the enemy's Move Speed by 45% and Skill Damage by 20% The enemy also takes damage equal to 50% of your stacked Mettle. All stacked Mettle is consumed.
- Toughen: Restore health every second even during combat. Lasts 30 minutes. Increases Mettle as damage is received.
- Revitalizing Cheer: Restores health and an additional amount equal to 30% of your stacked Mettle. Consumes all stacked Mettle.
- Redoubt: Raises a shield around caster for 20 seconds. Increases Block Rate by 25% and decreases Move Speed by 10%. Received Damage increases attack speed by 6% up to 5 times. Prevents being Pushed or Knocked Down.
- Ollo's Hammer: Summons Ollo's hammer and hurls it at an enemy, Tripping them for 2.5 seconds. Also deals Magic Damage to all enemies within 3 meters of the target.
- Mocking Howl: Taunts all enemies within 7 meters to make them attack you for 4 seconds. Increases Aggro by the amount of stacked Mettle, consumes all stacks of Mettle.
- Imprison: Imprisons all enemies within it for 20 seconds. The barrier can break if a large object crashes into it.
- Invincibility: Grants immunity to all damage for 12 seconds. Effect is canceled if you move.
Passive skills require a certain amount of skill points used within the set to allow point allocation into them. Passive skills buff the skill set once you unlock them, allowing for easier combat. In addition to the skill's effect, I'll list how many spent points are needed before you can allocate points to the passive skill.
- Supplemental Block: Increases Block Rate by 12% for 9 seconds after a successful Block against melee attacks. This effect does not stack. (Requires 2 points spent in Defense.)
- Shield Edge: Has a small chance to stun the enemy when blocking a melee attack. (Requires 3 points spent in Defense.)
- Shifting Block: Increases Block Rate by 12@ for 60 seconds with each successful Ranged Block. Stacks up to 3 times. (Requires 5 points spent in Defense.)
- Guardian: Increases Physical/Magic Defense by 700. Permanently increases Aggro by 15%. (Requires 6 points spent in Defense.)
- Bear's Vigor: Increases Health by 4% and decreases the duration of Stun and Trip effects by 20%. Increases skill-based healing effectiveness by 20% and Rejuvenate Health effectiveness by 33%. (Requires 7 points spent in Defense.)
I hope this gives a clear view of what the Defense skill set offers your build. For more guides on ArcheAge check my content directory.