Overwatch Guide: Widowmaker Info and Tips
In Overwatch, Widowmaker is the classic sniper. Her skill lies in picking off targets from a distance, locating enemies for the team, and even switching to close-range combat if needed.
Widowmaker may not be the easiest character to play, but a good sniper is always a welcome addition to any team. Her defense role makes her perfect for stopping enemies from reaching objectives. I'll go over how she plays and give some tips on using her effectively.
This guide will cover everything about the hero Widowmaker in Overwatch including:
- Widowmaker Basic Info - A little of Widowmaker's background and descriptions of her abilities.
- Widowmaker Combat Tips - Tips for using Widowmaker effectively.
Widowmaker Basic Info
Widowmaker used to be called Amelie Lacroix and was married to an Overwatch agent named Gerard. The terrorist organization Talon, kidnapped and brainwashed Widowmaker, then programmed her as a sleeper agent. She killed her husband shortly after returning to her old life.
Talon continued her training and made her into the assassin we know as Widowmaker, and she's been carrying out ruthless jobs ever since.
- Widow's Kiss - Her main weapon is a rifle that changes depending on the situation. When you zoom in, it is a sniper rifle, when you don't, it is an automatic assault rifle.
- Venom mine - Launches a poison trap that triggers on enemies that get near it, causing damage over time.
- Grappling Hook - Launches a hook that pulls you to the location it latches to, like a ledge.
- (Ultimate Ability) Infra-Sight - Uses her visor to spot the enemy team and shows their locations to your team for the duration of the ability.
Widowmaker Combat Tips
Widowmaker is a defense character, this does not mean she has a lot of health or defends allies. This means her main role is to defend objectives. Her sniping is great for keeping enemies away from point, or scouting the enemy to make it easier for your team to kill them.
- Aim is the name of the game
- You should already know that you need good aim to be a sniper, but Widowmaker is a bit harder to aim with than most games. It may take a lot of practice to get good at aiming.
- It is okay to get body shots
- Head shots are definitely the best and can 1-shot most enemies, but a few body shots can also get the job done.
- Her sniper gets stronger the longer you zoom in
- While aiming with the sniper, notice the arrows in the middle and the % it shows. 100% means you will do full damage and it is usually best to shoot when it is full.
- It only takes a second or 2 to charge, but sometimes rapid fire shots are better if an enemy will escape before you can charge.
- Be aware of your surroundings
- It is more important than ever to know what's going on around you when playing a sniper.
- Be sure to constantly check your area and move when people notice your location.
- Use the Venom Mine as an alert
- When someone triggers your Venom Mine, you will see it on your screen.
- Use this as a way to trap pathways that lead to you, so you'll know when you should leave.
- Don't be afraid to switch to the assault rifle
- When enemies get close, it could be better to just fire the assault rifle then trying to snipe them.
- Use the grappling hook to get to hard to reach areas and escape danger
- The Grappling Hook is perfect for getting to prime sniping locations, but it is also a great way to get out of danger.
That's it for my Overwatch Widowmaker Info and Tips. Let me know if you have any questions or tips of your own!