How to Obtain the Sun Darter Hatchling in WoW Legion
For some, raiding isn't the "be-all and end-all" of playing World of Warcraft. The game now holds so many fun features and achievements that there is something for everyone once they hit top level. The pet battle system is one such feature.
It has been a very successful addition to the game, and some now strive to catch every pet in-game and to become the best pet battler in WoW. With every new patch and expansion comes a whole menagerie of collectible pets. One such pet was introduced in the latest update, patch 7.2.5, and it is called the Sun Darter Hatchling.
While many pets can easily be found, acquiring this stunning little guy requires participating in a long and drawn-out event that entails great planning and quite a bit of farming. Luckily, the puzzle has already been solved by numerous dedicated pet hunters, so we are able to share with you what has to be done.
Make sure you read this guide in full before heading off to get the pet, because there are a lot of things you have to do first.
Where in the World (of Warcraft) is the Sun Darter Hatchling Located?
The Sun Darter Hatchling comes from an Oddly-Colored Egg. To get the egg, first you need to head to Winterspring -- that snowy zone at the top of Kalimdor. There is only one flight path in Winterspring, and that is Everlook. It is used by both factions and in a central location.
You will need to head to Frostsaber Rock and continue heading north until you reach the shore, where it turns grassy. The event takes place inside the Cavern of Consumption (coordinates 61.25, 24.10).
Out beyond the northern mountains in Winterspring
What You Need to Have Before Trying to Get the Sun Darter Hatchling
You cannot hearthstone once you are in the cavern, so you need to make sure you have the following items with you. It is advisable that you carry two or more of each in your bag.
All of the following potions can be made by alchemists or can be found on the auction house. If you are an alchemist and don't already have the recipe for these potions, I have included where they can be found. All of the following potions are from The Burning Crusade expansion, so you need to make sure you are in the "correct" Outland zones.
- Major Arcane Protection: Dropped by Vir'aani Arcanists in Nagrand. It has a relatively short respawn time, and one good place to find them is around the Oshu'gun crystal formation to the south.
- Major Fire Protection: A zone drop in the Mechanar instance in Netherstorm.
- Major Frost Protection: Dropped by Nexus-Prince Shaffar who is the last boss in the Auchindoun instance Mana-Tombs.
- Major Holy Protection: Dropped by Abyssal Flamebringer demons in Blade's Edge Mountain. You need to head to the Forge Camp at the bottom of the map. Remember that you need to be flying to get there, but be prepared to be shot down but Fel Cannons.
- Major Nature Protection: A reputation item that requires you to be exalted with the Cenarion Expedition in Zangarmarsh.
- Major Shadow Protection: Dropped by Shadow Council Warlocks at the Legion Hold in Shadowmoon Valley, on your right as you enter from Terrokar Forest.
Farming Vir'aani Arcanists in Nagrand for the Arcane Protection Potion recipe
There is actually only one elixir you need to get for this event, and it has been around since WoW first began. The Noggenfogger Elixir can be purchased from Sprinkle Noggenfogger who resides in Gadgetzan, Tanaris. One of the effects of this elixir is that it turns you into a skeleton and allows you to breathe underwater. This elixir may not turn you into a skeleton on the first try so make sure you have a good number on you.
Misc. Crafted Items
- Ethereal Oil: An alchemist trained item. It requires a fish called glassfin minnow, which is caught in abundance in Wintergrasp.
- Pygmy Oil: This is another item that an alchemist can train and requires pygmy suckerfish that can be found throughout Northrend. Take between 5-10 of them with you to ensure your Pygmy transformation.
- Scroll of Intellect: This can be made by scribes and is one of the starting recipes for that craft.
On the hunt for a Lucky Coin
- Scotty's Lucky Coin: This drops from Scotty in Townlong Steppes. He can be found on the island of Sra'vess, well-hidden in an alcove beneath the tree. When used, you will be disguised as a "Scotty" sprite.
- Gordok Orge Suit: This isn't technically a drop, but it is a quest reward. It requires you to complete a quest in the Dire Maul East dungeon. When you use the suit, you are transformed into a Gordok Orge.
- Dire Brew: To get this, you need to head to Blackrock Depths and specifically to the Grim Guzzler bar at the center of the instance. Once you get there, find the Dark Iron Brewer, wait until he passes out from drinking too much, and then loot the Mug of Dire Brew. This turns you into a Dark Iron Dwarf when consumed. If you are lucky enough to have a Direbrew's Remote, then you can teleport to the inn from the start of the instance.
- Winterfall Firewater: This is drops from the furblogs in Winterspring. Its main property increases your attack power, but it also has a nifty side effect that increases your size.
This cute little pug battle pet is a reward for completing the Looking for Multitudes achievement. You get this for completing random heroic instances until you have grouped with 100 random players.
"Little Princess" Costume
This is a pet battle related item and can be bought from any pet battle vendors for one pet charm or 500 Timeless Coins from dailies and drops on the Timeless Isle. This can only be used on your Perky Pug pet.
So now you have everything you need to do this event. Before we get into the details of what goes on in the cavern, you need to hear some advice: Do not forget to use a consumable when directed and do not cancel any buffs unless you are told to.
We are ready to start the fun!
Ready? Here we go!
How to Get the Sun Darter Hatchling in WoW
The first things you come to are two barriers. The first one is fire, and requires you to use the Major Fire Protection potion. The next is a fel barrier which requires you to use all of the remaining potions -- Arcane, Frost Holy, Nature, and Shadow.
As you continue along, you will happen across a gargoyle called a Diligent Watcher. Use the Noggenfogger Elixir as many times as it takes to transform you into a skeleton and then pass by him.
The path in front of you now splits in two. You need to go through the wall of vines first and this requires you to use Scotty's Lucky Coin to transform into a sprite. In the next room, you will find a stone called a Water Stone -- use it and it will give you a 15min buff. Run back to the where the path splits and take the route. The new buff will allow you to pass through the blue barrier.
Next, you will see a Stone Watcher. Similar to the way you got past the gargoyle, use the Dire Brew to become a Dark Iron Dwarf and you can pass right by him.
Now it where it gets a bit tricky. Remember to keep following as per the instructions and you'll be fine.
The path now splits into three.
Go up the slope to the purple barrier on the right. Use the Ethereal Oil to pass through it. In the next room you will see a strange stone with a hole in it. By putting your arm in the hole, you will get your next buff which is the Sign of the Second but you need to make sure your arm fits the whole. To do this you need to use the Gordok Orge Suit and the Winterfall Firewater to increase your size. Now use the hole and get the buff.
Now you need to go back to where the path splits and go to the gate on the left. You are a little bit big to get through there at the moment, so take the Pygmy Oil until you have transformed into a Pygmy and go through.
Before you is now a floating, glowing cube called the Wisdom Cube. Interacting with it will reveal that next you need to summon your little Perky Pug and equip it with the Little Princess costume. Interact with it again, place your arm underneath and it will give you the next buff which is the Sign of the First.
Aww... cute little princess pug!
Once you leave that room you will see that the third path is now open. Take it until you see a plaque on a pillar. Click the plaque. Before doing what the plaque says and crossing the water, you MUST cancel the Winterfall Firewater buff and apply the Scroll of Intellect. DO NOT just jump into the water. Make sure you got around to the water where you can walk down a slope into the water. Now you can cross the water happily and get your Oddly Colored Egg and enjoy your next Sun Darter Hatchling pet.
Yay! Got my own Sun Darter Hatchling!!!
So, there you have it! You now have this very cute battle pet in your arsenal! We hope that this guide has helped you and would love to know if you'd managed to get the pet yourself! Credit for unraveling this puzzle goes to the hardworking folks at the Secret Finding Discord Community.
If you need more help with various objectives in this iconic MMO, check out the rest of our WoW guides for all the answers you need!