Conan Exiles Beginner's Guide: Tips and Tricks for Surviving in the Exiled Lands
Conan Exiles offers various multiplayer options on different servers for you to try out. Each server may have its own rules and requires an individual approach when it comes to survival. However, there are certain basic elements that can be applied at any stage of the game.
This guide will give you some of the most important tips on how to survive in Conan Exiles no matter which type of server you have chosen to play on. After you create your character, you will be thrown into the deserted world of the game. From there on, it’s up to you how exactly you want to move forward.
But here are a few tricks that you may find useful on your journey.
Satiating Thirst and Hunger
You wouldn't believe how often people die from thirst in this game. So, if you want to live long in Conan Exiles, don’t forget to pay attention to the food and water indicators in the upper left corner of your screen.
Getting water requires you to simply approach any water source and press “E,” when you’re close enough. Food, on the other hand, is a bit trickier. You will find plenty of insects and other miniscule beings, but they are not that efficient for satiating hunger. Your best bet are eggs that can be snatched from the big nests lying around -- just make sure that their parents aren’t hiding nearby.
You will also encounter many wild animals on your way, such as rabbits, turtles, ostriches. If you manage to kill them, you will be able to cook them on a camp fire. Cooking meat is important -- it will stay fresh longer.
Beware: raw meat can turn into a rotten meat, which will give you food poisoning.
Crafting and Building
You will need to craft yourself some clothes that will protect your body, and other useful tools that will come in handy when you decide to build your first base.
Start by collecting branches, stones and plant fibers that can be seen everywhere on the ground. Just with the help of these simple components you can craft your first pickaxe and a hatchet. These primitive weapons can help you kill animals and take off their hides.
When you reach level 5, you will be able to craft a hunting bow -- an extremely useful weapon in the harsh environments of the exiled lands.
Stones and wooden branches are not only used for crafting tools, but also for building your first base -- so again, gather them as much as you can. You will need over a hundred stones and about as much wood to be able to build your foundation, walls, ceiling, and doors.
Later in the game you will be able to use iron and steel, and craft advanced tools and weapons. For this you will need either to learn blacksmithing or tame a thrall with the corresponding skill. As for building, you’ll need to make a furnace and a blacksmith's bench.
How to Tame Thralls
There are plenty of NPCs, or “thralls,” in Conan Exiles, and they all have different skills that can be used for your own benefit. But first you need to tame them and force them to serve you by putting them in the Wheel of Pain.
The process of taming thralls is as follows:
- Build the Wheel of Pain at your base
- Craft a truncheon and use it to knock out an NPC
- Craft fiber bindings and use them to bind the unconscious NPC
- Bring the NPC to your base and put it in the Wheel of Pain
- Put some food in the NPC’s inventory, something that is easy to make -- gruel, for example.
- But in truth, they eat anything you give them, so it really doesn’t matter that much.
- The Wheel of Pain will be activated and the will of your thrall will be broken.
Some thralls are easier to tame than others, but the hardest ones are usually warriors or archers that can help you fight enemies. However, this doesn’t mean that peaceful NPCs are useless. On the contrary, a blacksmith can be extremely useful for crafting you some new weapons, or a tanner can provide you with new clothes.
These types of thralls are exceptionally useful, as they build things faster than your character. So let them work, while you go hunting and killing.
Worshipping Gods and Summoning Avatars
Currently, you can worship three gods in Conan Exiles (four, technically, but Crom is agnostic and gives you no powers).
The god of your choice will let you build their altar right away. But in order to craft shrines of the rest of the gods, you must find their corresponding priests. Gods can be worshipped by committing sacrificial acts.
- The first god is Yog, who grants you special weapons and armor, if you will eat human flesh in his name.
- You can find his priest, Nunu The Cannibal, in the southern part of the map.
- You will need to build an altar for him, called “The Pit of Yog.”
- The second god is Mitra, who grants you an ability to craft holy weapons, armor and a symbol of Phoenix.
- Mitra is the god of right and justice and he can be worshipped with the help of Jamila, the Pirate Queen.
- Jamila can be located in the eastern part of the map.
- The final god is Set, who gives you powers against poison and an ability to turn snakes into arrows.
- Set’s priest is Mek-kamoses, and he resides in the northern part of the map.
- If you want Set’s powers, you need to sacrifice humans on his altar.
When you reach the highest level of worshipping gods, you will be able to summon the gods’ avatars -- giant creatures that have an immense destructive power. But this element of game comes much later in your adventures.
Come back soon for more Conan Exiles guides at GameSkinny!