Does PUBG Mobile Have Controller Support?
Does PUBG Mobile have controller support? Yes ... kind of. Using a controller for the mobile battle royale hit is a bit complicated. Controller support isn't quite ubiquitous.
The official word from Tencent and Bluehole is that controllers and mobile gamepads and Bluetooth controllers aren't officially supported by PUBG Mobile on any device, Android- or iOS-based.
However, some resourceful Android users have found a way around the issue by using rooted devices. As of this writing, the method seems to work just fine for some controllers, but it could be patched out, so keep that in mind.
Note: If you're playing PUBG Mobile on an iOS device, the method below won't work as of this writing ... mainly because we all know that Apple products can be difficult.
PUBG Mobile Controller Support for Android
Here are the steps you need to take to connect a controller to PUBG Mobile:
1. Make sure your Android device is rooted. As of now, only rooted Android devices can provide controller support.
2. Get a USB to OTG adapter. You can purchase these on Amazon for $4.99.
3. Get a DualShock 3 (PS3) or DualShock 4 (PS4) controller. You can also purchase these from any retailer, but Amazon has wireless PS3 controllers for $25 and PS4 controllers for $59, though they often go on sale.
3. Take screenshots of PUBG Mobile's controls. Do this so you can properly map them later on. This can literally be any screen that shows all of PUBG Mobile's controls, such as the screenshot above.
4. Download and install the Sixaxis Controller App. Unfortunately, it's no longer on the Google Play Store, so you'll have to search the web to find a download site (we'll let you make the decision of what site you think is safest to download it from).
5. Connect your Dualshock to your Android device via the OTG adapter.
6. Pair the controller to the device by clicking "Pair Controller."
7. Disconnect the Dualshock from the device and press the PS button to turn the controller on. Your device should now recognize the controller.
8. Next, go into the Sixaxis App's settings and follow this path: Settings > Touch Emulator > Edit Profile.
9. When you're presented with the white screen that says "Double Tap for Menu," double-tap to open your device's menu and select the photo of PUBG Mobile's controls you took when we started.
10. Make sure the picture is right-side up and choose "Add Button" to open a menu of all assignable buttons. Choose the button you want to assign, and when the menu closes, drag that button to the control point you want to assign.
11. Save, and you're done. Unfortunately, you'll have to open the "Add Button" menu every time you want to assign a new control point, so keep in mind what buttons you've already used.
This method of using a controller with an Android device should also work for a lot of other games on the Google Play Store, so experiment and see what works! And now that you have controller support for PUBG Mobile, getting those chicken dinners will (in theory) be a lot easier!