ARK: Survival Evolved Guide - How to Ascend and Find the Final Boss
ARK: Survival Evolved launched out of Early Access today, adding a new Ascension event complete with a final boss. Additionally, console players received the long-awaited Ragnarok map -- but in order to access it in single player mode, you must first achieve at least Beta Ascension. (Steam players don't have to worry about this.)
There are two ways to ultimately go about Ascension: you either do it the hard way, or you cheat with console commands.
The Ascend Console Command for ARK: SE
If you're going to use admin cheats, we might as well get it out of the way. It's incredibly simple -- up until the new Ascension, anyway -- but first, you must know how to access ARK's command console.
Within the command console, type in the code that corresponds to the Ascension level you wish to achieve.
- Gamma Ascension: cheat playercommand Ascend1
- Beta Ascension: cheat playercommand Ascend2
- Alpha Ascension: cheat playercommand Ascend3
Note that the letter A in Ascend must be capitalized in order for this command to work. Activate the code by pressing Enter on PC or the Admin Command button on Xbox One and PS4 and the credits will roll, kicking you back to the main menu.
Next time you load onto that map, you'll notice your existing character data is gone. You instead land on the page to download existing character data, and here you can select the newly Ascended version of your character. If you're using this command on an existing save, just make sure you store whatever you want to keep.
How to Access ARK's New Ascension and Final Boss with Cheats
Since you can't access the new Ascension directly through the console, you must navigate through the Tek Cave after achieving Alpha Ascension if you hope to experience it. But you could just use a special god mode cheat to sneak through the cave and reach it:
This console command activates 3 separate cheats that make you invincible, give you infinite stats, and make you invisible to enemies. You can later them deactivate using the following codes:
admincheat enemyinvisible false
Just run through the Tek Cave and access the Ascension Terminal at the end to experience ARK: Survival Evolved's new ending. And remember -- don't feel guilty about using the command console. The Tek Cave is hard enough that you may waste a lot of tributes trying to get it right. Though if you want to try, here are a few tips to help you get by.
Ascension Through Normal Gameplay in ARK
Whether you're playing on a server without admin permissions or simply want to go at it the way Studio Wildcard intended, then you're going to need to spend some time preparing.
Since the Tek Cave tunnels deep into the heart of the Volcano, you need to prepare to deal with the extreme heat. Wearing a full set of Ghillie Armor provides a whopping 155 heat protection on its own. Additionally, eating Calien Soup (made with 5 Citronal, 20 Tintoberries, 20 Amarberries, 10 Mejoberries, and 2 Stimulants) nets you a buff that grants an extra 50 hyperthermal insulation and a 25% reduction in your water consumption rate. (Alternatively, you could just wear the full set of Tek Armor for 208 heat protection.)
Once the matter of your heat protection is settled, there are a couple of ways to go about actually making it through the Tek Cave; you can either fight your way through the hoards of enemies in the cave or sneak past them.
If you're planning on fighting your way through, you want to consider preparing some dinos and weapons.
- Strong ranged weapons such as the Rocket Launcher, Tek Rifle, Tek Grenades, or even a Crossbow if you're desperate.
- Tanky Rexes and Spinos to keep the mob busy.
- A Grappling Hook or Jetpack for luring enemies into the lava.
- Sacrificial dinos for luring enemies into the lava.
- Yutyrannus for the sick buffs.
- Daeodon to heal everything.
With most (if not all) of these prepared, you should do pretty well in the Tek Cave if you're smart about it and take your time. Alternatively, you could avoid combat altogether by simply sneaking through.
There are two great ways to get through the Tek Cave without much of a fight.
- Use the Ghillie Armor to reduce enemy visibility range by 50% and pair it with Cactus Broth (made with 30 Cactus Sap, 10 Mejoberries, 10 Azulberries, 10 Amarberries, and 1 skin of Water) to further increase your stealth and crawl through the cave undetected. Crawling to the end takes a while so be sure to bring about 4 servings of Cactus Broth per player.
- Use a set of Tek Armor to sprint through the cave as quick as possible. You'll still draw aggro, but you'll be moving too quickly to take much damage. Bring some Medical Brew to be on the safe side.
Once you're ready to tackle the Tek Cave, head over to the gate at the Volcano and offer a tribute to start the challenge for you and your tribe mates. The tribute for the cave grows more demanding for higher Ascension levels.
- Gamma Ascension Tribute: Gamma Broodmother, Megapithecus, and Dragon Trophies
- Beta Ascension Tribute: Beta Broodmother, Megapithecus, and Dragon Trophies; Alpha Raptor Claw; Alpha Carnotaurus Arm; Alpha Tyrannosaur Tooth
- Alpha Ascension Tribute: Alpha Broodmother, Megapithecus, and Dragon Trophies; Alpha Raptor Claw; Alpha Carnotaurus Arm; Alpha Tyrannosaur Tooth; Alpha Megalodon Fin; Alpha Mosasaur Tooth; Alpha Tusoteuthis Eye; Alpha Leedsichthys Blubber
If you complete the Tek Cave on Alpha Ascension, you'll be transported to the final boss's arena and receive some long-awaited exposition on the state of the ARKs.
Good luck tackling the Tek Cave if that's what you're planning on doing. For more ARK: Survival Evolved guides, keep GameSkinny on your radar.