One of the biggest points of no return in Baldur’s Gate 3 is going to Shadowfell after the Gauntlet of Shar. A choice arises because we can also explore Moonrise Towers. So, should you go to Shadowfell or Moonrise Towers first in Baldur’s Gate 3?
Shadowfell vs. Moonrise Towers: Which to do First in BG3
I highly recommend doing Moonrise Towers before going to Shadowfell BG3. Complete quests, interact with NPCs and shopkeeps, rescue Wulbren and the Tiefling prisoners, and defeat Thorm bosses around the Ruined Battlefield. But don’t fight Ketheric since he’s invulnerable.
Going into the Shadowfell first to deal with Nightsong after the Gauntlet of Shar locks you out of Moonrise content. It prematurely ends some quests and makes other things inaccessible. You can do the entire Gauntlet of Shar and stop before going into the Shadowfell, then do Moonrise content.
The crucial points are not using the three Umbral Gems to open the door to the Shadowfell pool and not fighting Ketheric. As long as you don’t do those, you can freely complete all the content before progressing.
What Quests End When Entering Shadowfell in BG3?
In terms of Moonrise content, if you go to the Shadowfell, first you won’t be able to:
- Buy from Roah Moonglow.
- Buy from Lann Tarv.
- Buy and interact with Araj Oblodra’s blood quest.
- Interact with the various NPCs around Moonrise.
- Interact with and accept quests from Z’rell.
- Meet a non-hostile Ketheric and witness his trial.
- Fight any bosses around Moonrise.
Additionally, if you go to the Shadowfell, you’ll automatically end quests that involve:
- Reaching the Githyanki Creche.
- Saving prisoners from Moonrise.
- Finding Arabella’s parents.
- Helping Omeluum investigate the parasite.
- Dealing with the He Who Was.
- Helping Art and Halsin find Thaniel.
- Looking for Rolan.
- Helping Astarion with his scars (If you haven’t defeated Yurgir).
- Fixing Karlach’s engine.
That’s whether you do Shadowfell or Moonrise Towers first in Baldur’s Gate 3. For more BG3 guides, check out Top 10 things you should do in Act 2 and the best solo builds if you want to play the game alone.