Knowing how to cure status effects in Starfield is integral to your survival. As you progress further in your journey, certain missteps will cause afflictions. Over time, they can worsen, and you’ll suffer more debilitating effects. Our guide tells you how to remove these ailments to keep your character in tip-top condition.
How to Cure Status Effects in Starfield
Starfield status effects can be cured by visiting a doctor or by using the correct type of medicine/aid. The means of removing afflictions via doctors is fairly straightforward: all you need to do is look for a facility, such as Reliant Medical, and pay the NPC anywhere from 400 to 700 credits. As for medicine, I’ll discuss those a little further down. First, let’s look at how the affliction mechanic works.
What Causes Afflictions in Starfield?
Harmful and dangerous actions, as well as clumsy mistakes, can lead to afflictions. Here are some examples:
- Fractures — Denoted by a broken bone icon; can occur if you fall from a great height.
- Burns, frostbite, and hypothermia — Denoted by an icon with three droplets; staying in areas with extreme temperatures can lead to these ailments.
- Internal organ damage (i.e. brain injury or poisoning) — Denoted by a scatter icon; toxic water and gas can poison your character.
- Laceration and punctures — Denoted by a bandage icon; getting bitten by wild animals or stabbed with sharp melee weapons can cause this status effect.
- Infections — Denoted by a medicine capsule; prolonged exposure while wounded can lead to infections.
Severity and Prognosis Explained
Starfield status effects or ailments have different levels of severity or thresholds:
- Basic afflictions — Only one status effect.
- Acute afflictions — Two status effects.
- Severe afflictions — Three status effects.
There’s also the prognosis to consider, ranging from stable to poor:
- Stable — This means wounds, infections, and the like can get automatically cured as time passes.
- Poor — This means your ailments will continue to fester, and are unlikely to get automatically cured.
Medicine and Aid Items That Cure Status Effects
Below, I’ve listed various items that help cure status effects in Starfield. These can be purchased from doctors or looted from containers/enemies. Take note of the relevant icons, too, so you’ll know what kinds of afflictions ail your character.
- Analgesic Poultice — Burns, contusions, frostbite, infections, lacerations, and puncture wounds.
- Anchored Immobilizers — Dislocated/fractured limb, fractured skull, sprain, and torn muscle.
- Antibiotic Cocktail — Infections.
- Antibiotic Paste — Burns, frostbite, and infections.
- Bandages — Contusions, lacerations, and puncture wounds.
- Boosted Injector — Brain injury, concussion, heatstroke, hernia, hypothermia, lung damage, poisoning, and radiation poisoning.
- Heal Paste — Burns and frostbite.
- Immobilizers — Dislocated/fractured limb, fractured skull, sprain, and torn muscle.
- Injector — Brain injury, concussion, heatstroke, hernia, hypothermia, lung damage, poisoning, and radiation poisoning.
- Panacea — I can honestly say that the Panacea is the best medicine item in the game. It’s able to remove all types of negative status effects with a single use.
- Penicillin X — Infections.
That’s everything you need to know about how to cure status effects in Starfield. For more tips and strategies, you can visit our guides hub.