The Rogue Trader CRP has some of the most immersive rules for firing guns with the Burst Fire ability as well as Rate of Fire and Recoil stats. So what does Rate of Fire and Recoil actually mean on weapons? Here’s my Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader Recoil stat explained guide.
What Does the Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Recoil Stat Do?
Rate of Fire and Recoil are stats tied directly to the Burst Fire ability in combat where you can fire multiple shots in a cone potentially hitting more enemies than with Single Shot. When you use Burst Fire, these are the two stats you have to keep in mind:
- Recoil: The Recoil stat is a flat number which reduces your accuracy for all shots during Burst Fire after the first one.
- Rate of Fire: This stat determines how many shots you’ll fire when using Burst Fire.
Let’s give you an example using a standard-issue Bolter weapon.
As you can see the Bolter has a Rate of Fire of 3 and Recoil of 25. Let’s say I get into position and use the Burst Fire ability. I’ll shoot three bullets where the second and third one will have a -25% penalty to hit. Luckily, there are ways to reduce Recoil and therefore increase our chances of hitting.
How to Reduce Recoil in WH40K Rogue Trader
I would highly recommend the following two items for reducing Recoil as well as one specific talent:
- Recoil Gloves: They reduce Recoil of all automatic weapons by 50. This is excellent on weapons like the Heavy Stubber or Heavy Bolt Gun. They’re found on Janus on the optional jungle path after the Lacerax ambush.
- Recoil Warboots: Along with decreasing cover efficiency these boots will reduce your Recoil by 15. You can find them toward the end of Chapter 3 on the right side of the Ravaging Tempest Spire.
- Weapon Personalisation: Hive World Homeworld characters can pick up this talent to reduce Recoil by 5 in addition to some other neat bonuses like increasing Rate of Fire and damage.