How to Get Star Fragments in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
If you've happened across Blathers' sister Celeste, you might be wondering how to get Star Fragments in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. The former observatory manager gives you multiple DIY Recipes over time that require various numbers and types of Star Fragment.
That's great, but it's easy to overlook how to get what you need — which is why we put together this Animal Crossing: New Horizons Star Fragment guide.
How to Get Star Fragments in Animal Crossing
Getting Star Fragments is pretty simple. All you need to do is wish on a star. To do that, just tilt the right stick up, wait for a star to come loose from the firmament, and press "A" as it races across the sky.
When you'll actually get a meteor shower isn't completely certain. It only happens on clear nights, but it doesn't seem to happen every clear night. Sometimes, your island neighbors give you a clue by mentioning how the weather is perfect for shooting stars.
Also, if Celeste is in your town, it's a guarantee a meteor shower is going on (but Celeste being there isn't an actual requirement).
Either way, it's much easier to tell if you've got the volume up, as you'll hear a little twinkling sound each time a star comes on the scene.
Equally important, you aren't limited with how many stars you can wish on. You can only wish once on each star, but if you're looking to really rack up the number of Star Fragments you get, wish on every one you see.
The day after you wish on stars (after the daily announcement, not after midnight), head out and walk up and down the beaches. You'll find Star Fragments proportional to the number of stars you wished on. What kind they are, however, is another story.
Type of Star Fragments in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
There are three different kinds of fragment:
- Star Fragments
- Large Star Fragments
- Zodiac Star Fragments
Unfortunately, it seems completely random what kind you get. That's why it's in your best interest to wish on as many as possible.
It also seems like your Zodiac Star Fragments are determined by the astrological calendar:
- Capricorn — December 22-January 19
- Aquarius — January 20-February 18
- Pisces — February 19-March 20
- Aries — March 21-April 19
- Taurus — April 20-May 20
- Gemini — May 21-June 20
- Cancer — June 21-July 22
- Leo — July 23-August 22
- Virgo — August 23- September 22
- Libra — September 23-October 22
- Scorpio — October 23-November 21
- Sagittarius — November 22-December 21
What are Star Fragments for in Animal Crossing?
Star Fragments are used in various DIY Recipes, and the one you'll likely get first is the Magic Wand. This, along with the many other variations (Bunny Day Wand, Bamboo Wand, flower wands, and so on) let you store outfits and change into them on the fly as costumes.
There's a range of actual star-themed items as well, and you'll need Star Fragments and Large Star Fragments for the space furniture set this time around.
Finally is the Zodiac set Celeste gives you a recipe for every month. So far, we've got the Aries Rocking Chair and Taurus Bath, but there are other time travelers found. If you don't want to wait to finish the set, that's always an option too.
And that's all you need to know about how to get star fragments in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Be sure to check out our comprehensive collection of Animal Crossing: New Horizons guides as well, including:
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Change Roof and Mailbox Colors
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get Iron Nuggets
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Make Bells Fast
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get the Pole Vault
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: Flower Breeding and Hybrids Guide
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Get a Mirror
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Catch Fish
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Plant Fruit and Pricing Guide
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Time Travel
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: Turnip Buying and Selling Guide
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Sleep
- Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Save