Bravely Default: Red Mage Job Guide
Red Mage is the jack of all trades when it comes to magic. They can use both Black and White Magic, but can only get each to level 4 out of 6. They gain BP in many ways, though, and their support abilities are great for Job that use a lot of BP.
This guide will cover everything about Red Mage including:
- Unlocking Red Mage : How to unlock the job.
- Equipment Guide: What they use, and the optimal equips.
- Ability List: What level they get them.
- Cross Job Tips: Which jobs fit well with Red Mage.
- Special Moves: Which are best suited for Red Mage.
- Combat Tips: Being most effective in battle.
Unlocking Red Mage
You unlock Red Mage in Chapter 2 by defeating DeRosa. After the festival, talk to the man in red to start the quest. Go back to the north part of town multiple nights until you fight him.
Red Mages have an A aptitude for Swords. They also have a B aptitude for most weapons.
- A mix of Magic and Physical Attack is good. Red Mages are pretty even in all stats.
- Their highest aptitude is for Swords, so you can do some physical damage.
- Use Rods if you want more Magic Attack.
Red Mages have the Revenge Specialty.
- Revenge - Has a 25% chance to increase BP by one when taking damage. Poison damage doesn't trigger it.
- Black/White Magic Level 1 - Allows you to use Cure, Poisona, Blindna, Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder.
- MP 20% Up - Support ability that raises max MP by 20%.
- Black/White Magic Level 2 - Allows you to use Protect, Shell, Aero, Silence, Poison, and Sleep.
- Turn Tables - Support ability that raises BP by 1 when evading an enemy attack.
- MP Free in a Pinch - Support ability that lowers MP cost to 0 when your HP is below 20%.
- Black/White Magic Level 3 - Allows you to use Cura, Raise, Esuna, Fira, Blizzara, and Thundara.
- Adrenaline - Support ability that raises BP by 1 every time your attack defeats an enemy. If you defeat multiple enemies at once, your BP rises by the number defeated.
- Save Magic MP - Support ability that lowers the MP cost of Black, White, Time, and Summon magic by 25%.
- BP Recovery - Support ability that raises BP by 2 when you get a status ailment.
- Black/White Magic Level 4 - Allows you to use Reflect, Dispel, Aerora, Drain, Aspir, and Fear.
- Revenge - Support ability that allows you to use the Red Mage Specialty on other Jobs.
- Revival - Support ability that has a 75% chance to raise BP by 2 when your HP falls below 20%. This doesn't work on abilities that lower your own HP.
- An Eye for an Eye - Support ability that raises Crit Rate by 900% for 5 turns when your HP falls below 20%.
- In the Red - Support ability raises Magic Attack when you have negative BP.
- 0 BP or More - No effect.
- -1 BP - 1.2 times damage.
- -2 BP - 1.3 times damage.
- -3 BP - 1.4 times damage.
- -4 BP - 1.5 times damage.
Cross Job Tips
- Spell Fencers are great for Red Mage because they have Sword Magic that goes beyond the Red Mage level 4 magic. Both are good with swords and this gives you more variety.
- Red Mages are good for their support abilities that raise BP. Spiritmasters and Valkyries benefit greatly from this.
- Level 1 - Brave 10 times.
- Hack and Slash- Attacks one enemy, lowering their Physical Defense. Raises Hit Count for all allies.
- Level 2 - Brave 20 times.
- Air Splitter - Attacks all enemies. Raises Physical Attack for all allies.
- Level 3 - Brave 30 times.
- Sonic Wave - Attacks one enemy with Wind. Raises Physical Attack for all allies.
Red Mages are average overall, but the many chances to raise BP make them formidable. What they lack in power, they make up for in number of actions.
- If you want to take some pressure from your healer, Red Mage can heal decently well. This lets you save BP or even attack if your healer has an attacking sub job.
- If you use Spell Fencer with Red Mage, you can exploit the enemy's weakness easily. Use Black Magic if they have a lower Magic Defense, or Sword Magic if they have a lower Physical Defense.
For more tips and guides, visit my Bravely Default Master Guide List. If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know in the comments!