Hogwarts Legacy Merlin Trials Guide
There are nine types of Merlin Trials in Hogwarts Legacy, which are simple minigames or puzzles that reward players with extra inventory slots. These trials are scattered all over the world map, and can be played at any point in the game after completing Merlin's main quest "Trials of Merlin".
Our guide will provide you with tips on how to complete all kinds of Merlin Trials in Hogwarts Legacy, including tips on how to unlock them.
How to Unlock Merlin Trials in Hogwarts Legacy
Each Merlin Trial is unlocked with a single bundle of Mallowsweet Leaves. These leaves can be purchased at any store or trader for 100 gold. But the best way would be to purchase Mallowsweet Seeds from the Magic Neep store in Hogsmeade for 200 gold, and grow Mallowsweet inside pots. This way you can get a lot more leaves and much cheaper.
Once you have the Mallowsweet Leaves, you need to do the following:
- Use the Revelio spell while flying around the world map.
- This will reveal the locations of Merlin Trials in that area (indicated by the purple Mallowsweet Leaves icon).
- Travel towards the location of the nearest trial.
- Interact with the Mallowsweet Leaves to start the trial.
All Types of Merlin Trials
Balls on Pillars
The first trial is very simple: You will have to destroy nine balls placed on the pillars around the area. These are typically grouped in three by three.
You can use simple damage spell, such as Basic Cast, to break the balls. If you can't find all nine pillars, then use Revelio.
Balls in Slots
Here, instead of breaking the balls you need to pull them into the slots on the special platforms.
First, identify the platforms with empty slots and then use Revelio to find the balls. Finally apply Accio or Wingardium Leviosa to pull the balls into the slots.
This is another simple one, as all you need is to apply the Reparo spell on the broken pieces of the statues.
There may be more than one in the area, so use Revelio to find and repair them all.
Butterflies in Pillars
When you see lots of butterflies flying around, use Revelio to find the pillars with special openings.
Apply Lumos on butterflies and lead them into these openings inside pillars.
Cauldrons on Pillars
The next type requires you to set on fire three cauldrons that can be seen standing on top of the pillars around the area.
You can easily do this using Revelio to see the pillars, and then use the Confringo spell to light up all three cauldrons. But you have to be fast, or pillars may start disappearing and make you have to do it again.
This is another trial that requires players to use the Confringo spell in order to destroy three cracked stones.
You may easily find one stone as soon as the trial begins, but others may be hidden, so use Revelio.
Cubes and Symbols
At one point, you will come by stone cubes that stand one on top of the other with symbols on them. This is the first tricky puzzle that you may find amongst all the Merlin Trials. Here's how you can solve it:
- Use Flipendo spell on the top cube, so it matches the symbol on one side of the bottom cube.
- If the symbols match, but their orientation is wrong, then use Flipendo again to rotate the top cube, so that the orientation of both symbols matches.
- Once both symbols match perfectly, the stone cubes will crack and disappear.
This trial is very similar to the Balls in Slots trial, but this time the balls are much bigger, and require you to place them onto the platforms, using such spells like Accio, Wingardium Leviosa, or even Depulso.
The last trial is very different from the rest, and doesn't require you to use any spells whatsoever. Instead you must solve another simple puzzle that goes like this:
- Locate a row of standing stones that look like Stonehenge.
- Use platform to climb on top of the first stone in the row.
- Jump from one stone to another, not missing a single stone in the row, and not falling to the ground.
If you fall, you will have to start the trial over again.
Merlin Trials Rewards
As already mentioned, by completing Merlin Trials players get to unlock extra gear slots in their inventory. Here is a complete breakdown of how many trials you need to complete for new extra slots:
- 2 Merlin Trials — 4 Extra inventory slots.
- 8 Merlin Trials — +4 Extra inventory slots.
- 18 Merlin Trials — +4 Extra inventory slots.
- 32 Merlin Trials — +4 Extra inventory slots.
- 52 Merlin Trials — +4 Extra inventory slots.
Once you complete all Merlin Trials, you will also unlock "Merlin's Beard!" trophy/achievement.
Those are all Merlin Trials in Hogwarts Legacy. Stay tuned for more Hogwarts Legacy tips and tricks articles. If you're running into the blue characters bug, we've got a fix for that. We've also covered the black screen bug and provided potential solutions for the game crashing on PC.
Featured image via Warner Bros. Games.