Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Beginner's Guide to Character Creation, Skills, Items, and More
Dragon Ball Xenoverse throws you into the game without any knowledge of what's going on or how to play. A small tutorial comes after the first two fights to teach you the controls, but many things are not explained clearly.
I'm going to help you get past the initial shock of the game and give you all the information needed to start you on your way to becoming a Dragon Ball legend.
This guide will cover the basics and beginning info for Dragon Ball Xenoverse including:
- Basic Controls and Systems - Combat controls and some things you may not know.
- Created Characters - The different races and what they do.
- Attributes - What they are and how to assign them.
- Skill Sets - What skills you can use and how to set new ones.
- Equipment - What equipment does and how to put them on.
- Battle Items - What they do and how to assign them.
Basic Controls and Systems
First, this game lets you create a character to go through the game. This is required and you must complete all story missions with your created character.
If you want to do normal matches, do the beginning story missions until you unlock online and offline battles. These let you just fight with any character you want.
- There is a health bar, stamina bar and Ki bar.
- Stamina is used for certain skills and maneuvers.
- Ki is used for most Special and Ultimate Attacks.
- You can move and change the camera angle in combat.
- You can boost/dash to enemies.
- You have a weak and strong attack. These count as Basic Attacks. Press repeatedly and in different combinations for combos.
- Strong Attacks can be charged up.
- There are also ki blasts, though they are not very strong or reliable.
- Press the strong attack button and the ki blast button together to do a knock back attack.
- You jump/fly, and descend if in the air.
- Enemy attacks can be blocked, or vanished from.
- You can also grab or use a charged strong attack to break guards/blocks.
Check out Ashley's Controls guide for info on how to grab and vanish.
Besides the story missions and versus battles, you have Parallel Quests.
- Parallel Quests let you play with any character and they unlock many things.
- You can also do Parallel Quests online with up to 2 other people.
There are also dragon balls in the game that grant wishes. Check out my guide on How to Get the Dragon Balls and Shenron Wishes for full details.
There are 5 races to choose from in Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- Majin - Buu's race.
- Can be male or female.
- High Defense and low stamina recovery.
- Defense increases when Stamina is maxed.
- Males have more health and lower movement speed.
- Females have higher movement speed and lower health.
- Saiyan - The only race that can become Super Saiyan (ultimate skill).
- Low health, but high attack.
- Attack gets stronger when health is low. All stats increase after reviving.
- Can be male or female.
- Earthling - Krillin's race.
- Balanced stats.
- Ki refills automatically and attack rises when maxed.
- Can be male or female.
- Namekian - Piccolo's race.
- Low attack, but high health.
- Stamina refills quickly and items are more effective than other races.
- Health regenerates when low.
- Frieza Race - Self-explanatory
- Low attack, but high speed.
- Can paralyze enemies with Ki Blasts.
- Increases speed when health is low.
There are 6 attributes that affect your combat.
- Health (HEA) - Increases your max health.
- Ki - This increases your max Ki.
- Stamina (STM) - Increases your max stamina.
- Attack (ATK) - Increases your Basic Attack damage.
- Strike (STR) - Increases your Strike Super Attack damage.
- Blast (BLA) - Increases your Ki Blast Super Attack damage.
Every time you level you get 3 points to spend. The max level is 80.
You can set up to 4 Super Attacks, 2 Ultimate Attacks, and 1 Evasive Skill.
- Open up the menu and select customize, then change skill set.
- Select the slot you want to change the skill you want to change it to.
- It even tells you the button combinations for the skill you choose.
There are 2 types of Super and Ultimate attacks.
- Strike - Physical based attacks.
- Ki Blast - Ki based attacks.
The damage for these are determined by your stats.
There are 6 equipment slots, 5 affect your attributes.
- Upper Body
- Lower Body
Upper Body, Lower Body, Hands, and Feet all increase your attributes directly. They also usually decrease other attributes.
- Select an item to display what attributes it affects and which races can equip it.
The Z-soul is special. There are many things it can do, but think of it as a passive ability that has special conditions to activate. These are "souls" of characters.
- Example: One of Tien's Z-souls is called, "Fine. I'll go first".
- This has a low chance to activate at the start of battle and auto charges Ki for a short period of time.
- It also increases Stamina and Basic Attack, and lowers Strike Supers.
You can assign and use 4 items in battle.
- Even if you have multiples of the same item, you can only assign it to one slot.
- You can also only use each item once each battle.
- They remain assigned as long as you have items left.
- If you run out, you have to assign it again when you get more.
- Battle items can do things like recover health, stamina, Ki and revive when KO'd.
- There are also items to recover your teammates as well.
That's it for the basics of Dragon Ball Xenoverse. Let me know if you have any questions about this or anything else I might have left out.