How to Build Shudderwock Shaman in Hearthstone
The latest Hearthstone expansion, The Witchwood, introduced a new legendary that boggles the minds of many ladder players -- Shudderwock. This card simply repeats all battlecries that have been active during a match-up, but it opens so many possibilities that it's hard to imagine.
Many players build mostly an OTK version of the Shudderwock Shaman, but if you're tired of repeating the same combo one game after another, then here are a few suggestions on other possible archetypes.
Also, at the end of this guide, you will find some info on how to counter Shudderwock Shaman in Hearthstone.
- Deck string: AAECAaoICIEE/wXHwQLzwgKHxALIxwKn7gLv9wILvQH1BP4FhgbwB+vCAsLDAsrDApvLArDwAvbwAgA=
Elemental Shaman is not only a very powerful deck, but it's also cheaper and more flexible than the OTK version. You can play either aggressively or slowly depending on the opponents you face.
It includes the up-to-date elemental staples, such as Fire Fly, Earthen Might, Tar Creeper, Servant of Kalimos, Fire Elemental, and Blazecaller. All these cards revolve around one big legendary -- Kalimos, Primal Lord. This elemental package can really push your game forward.
If you're facing Aggro Paladin or Tempo Rogue, then the following cards should help you clear the board: Lightning Storm, Volcano, and Hagatha. When the board is finally clear from threats, you can start putting out your Shudderwock.
Based on the battlecries in this deck, your Shudderwock will heal you, copy itself on board, fill your hand with more elementals, and deal additional damage to your opponent. As you can see, this deck is a blast to play and a lot more fun than your typical OTK build.
- Deck string: AAECAaoIBPIFw+oCp+4C7/cCDfUE/gXHwQKbwgLrwgLCwwLKwwKbywLz5wKW7wKm8ALv8QKn9wIA
This control list utilizes the elements of both OTK and Elemental Shaman and turns them into a very potent deck. It was mainly designed to deal with one of the most annoying decks in the history of Hearthstone -- Cube Warlock.
Two copies of Hex and Spellbreaker easily deal with Voidlords and Carnivorous Cubes, while Lightning Storm and Hagatha provide AOE against Aggro Paladins.
Shudderwock comes in when you need to heal with the help of previously played Lifedrinkers. Baleful Banker and Zola the Gorgon should provide you with more copies of Shudderwock both in your deck and hand, so you get even more heals afterwards.
- Deck string: AAECAaoIBvUE7QWTwQLJxwKr5wLv9wIMigH7AYEE/gWyBsfBAsrDApvLAvPnAuDqAp7wAu/xAgA=
If you're reading this guide, then you're probably interested in different versions of the OTK Shaman as well. The list presented above is not the only efficient OTK build you will find, but currently, it has the highest winrate on ladder.
Card draw is also an essential part of this deck. That's why you can consider a card like Acolyte of Pain. This list includes Sandbinder, which is very effective when you need to draw your elementals. However, you can play Witchwood Piper instead, which is a cheaper card.
Since the current meta is filled with weapons, you can also include weapon hate cards like Harrison Jones, Gluttonous Ooze, or Swamp Acidic Ooze. And against aggro decks, you can put in more minions with Taunt, such as Rotten Applebaum, Lone Champion, etc.
The general strategy of this OTK Shaman deck works in the following way:
- Play Saronite Chain Gang, Lifedrinker, and Grumble in any order during the game.
- When you have both Fire Plume Harbinger and Murmuring Elemental, you can play Fire Plume Harbinger and make Murmuring Elemental cheaper.
- When you finally have 10 mana and a Shudderwock in hand, you can play your discounted Murmuring Elemental and Shudderwock right after.
- Next turn, play Shudderwock again (he'll return to your hand), and you will deal 42 damage to your opponent, resulting in an OTK.
How to Beat Shudderwock Shaman
The only way you can beat the Shudderwock Shaman deck is to kill your opponent before they play Shudderwock in the first place -- that is, before turn nine.
You can do this by playing fast, aggressive decks, such as Odd Paladin, Tempo Rogue, Zoolock, and Face Hunter. However, even then you might lose if they have timely AOEs and healing spells.
Unfortunately, control decks have almost no chance against Shudderwock Shaman, as they give Shaman players enough time to execute an OTK.
Below you will find the lists of the decks that have the highest win rate against Shudderwock Shaman:
- Deck string: AAECAZ8FAqICnvgCDkanBfEF9QWXwQLKwwKDxwK4xwLjywKVzgLR4QKL5QLW5QK15gIA
- Deck string: AAECAaIHBrICrwTyBcrDAs/hApziAgy0AYwC7QLUBd0IgcIC68ICm8sCyssC2+MCpu8Cx/gCAA==
- Deck string: AAECAf0GApfTApziAg4w0wH3BM4HwgjECOvCAsrDApvLAvfNApXOAvLQAv3QArjuAgA=
- Deck string: AAECAR8ErwSXwQLl7wKe+AIN8gGhAqICqAK1A9QF7QbbCf4M68IClc4C4eMCi+UCAA==
It looks like Blizzard will eventually nerf Shudderwock, so be prepared for some changes in the near future. For other Hearthstone guides at GameSkinny, check out the links below: