How to Find and Tame Maewing in ARK: Fjordur
Maewing is considered the best mount in ARK: Fjordur for a number of reasons, all of which are listed below. It is a hybrid of platypus and flying squirrel, which allows it to use both air and water for transportation. This guide will provide you with tips on how to find and tame Maewing in ARK: Fjordur.
How to Find Maewing in ARK: Fjordur
Maewing is typically found in the grassland areas of the Fjordur map, such as southwestern part of Vannaland, the island of Bolbjord, and the northern part of the Vardiland island.
These creatures specifically enjoy staying near the sources of water at the Runeheimr Forest, so the best spots to catch them would be at coordinates:
- 17.70 - 83.60
- 25.10 - 89.90
- 22.70 - 92.10
- 27.30 - 84.80
Maewing is typically passive, but once it senses danger it will immediately try to glide away. If undisturbed, it will crawl the land in search of food, or swim underwater, so don't be afraid to get wet when chasing it.
How to Tame Maewing in ARK: Fjordur
There are three ways of taming Maewing in ARK: Fjordur, and all of them will be discussed below:
- Use Tranq Arrows.
- Build a Trap Box.
- Use a Net Projectile.
Use Tranq Arrows
Maewing may be a passive creature, but it is extremely difficult to knock one out with a melee weapon. That's why players need something extra!
Craft a Tek Bow
The Tek Bow is a specialized bow that can utilize various types of arrows with increased precision.
This bow can be crafted in the Tek Replicator with the help of the following ingredients:
- 1 Compound Bow.
- 225 Polymer / Organic Polymer / Corrupted Nodule.
- 200 Metal Ingot / Scrap Metal Ingot.
- 75 Cementing Paste / Achatina Paste.
- 60 Element.
- 100 Crystal / Primal Crystal.
Craft Tranq Arrows
This type of arrow doesn't kill a creature, but induces Torpidity, which basically works as a tranquilizer and is perfect for taming Maewing.
Tranq arrows can be crafted right in your inventory using the following recipe:
- 1 Stone Arrow.
- 1 Narcotic.
- 1 Narcoberry.
- 1 Spoiled Meat.
Once you were able to tranquilize Maewing from a distance, you can throw some food nearby that it will gladly consume.
Maewing's favorite foods are:
- Basic Kibble.
- Prime Meat.
Build a Trap Box
The trap box is a simple construction, consisting of static walls and one movable wall or ceiling, depending on your preference.
Here are some essential tips on how to build such a trap box:
- Place three wooden walls in a box formation, and cover a ceiling with another wood plank, leaving one wall empty.
- Alternatively, place four walls around, forming a box, leaving ceiling open.
- Put some bait inside the box and be ready to cover either the wall or the ceiling, once a Maewing is inside the box.
There are a couple of types of bait, which can be effectively used to lure Maewing into the trap box:
- Rare Flower.
- Giant Bee Honey.
Use a Net Projectile
The final and most aggressive way of taming Maewing is to catch it with a Net Projectile and Tranquilizer Darts.
Net Projectile crafting recipe
- 180 Fiber.
- 12 Metal Ingot / Scrap Metal Ingot.
- 4 Polymer / Organic Polymer / Corrupted Nodule.
Note that you have to use harpoon launcher in order to shoot the Net Projectile at the Maewing.
Tranquilizer Dart crafting recipe
- 1 Stone Arrow.
- 3 Narcotic.
- 2 Metal ingot / Scrap Metal Ingot.
- 1 Simple Rifle Ammo.
How to Use Maewing in ARK: Fjordur
Maewing is a fantastic mount, who is capable of performing several highly valuable actions, such as:
- Extreme Travel Speed. Once the gliding Maewing gets going, its speed increases significantly, making it the fastest mount in ARK: Fjordur.
- Universal Traveller. This mount can travel in air, on the ground, and under the water.
- Gathers Resources. Maewing will collect fiber, berries, meat, and even hide once left alone.
- Transportation. Maewing can steal and carry up to four other baby creatures on its back.
- Motherhood. It can take care of baby creatures on its own by feeding and protecting them.
- ARK Fjordur: How to Find and Defeat Broodmother
- ARK Fjordur: How to Get Cementing Paste
- All Fjordur Wyverns and Wyvern Egg Locations
- All Fjordur Unique Creatures Locations
- How to Get Runestones
That's all you need to know on how to find and tame Maewing in ARK: Fjordur. Fore more ARK: Survival Evolved tips and tricks articles, check out our dedicated hub page via the link.