Skyrim: How to Get Madness Ore
The Anniversary Edition of Skyrim has brought all sorts of new content to this already massive title, in the form of numerous community-made "Creations". The Saints & Seducers pack brings some new crafting materials to the game, including a rare material called Madness Ore. In this guide, we'll tell you everything you need to know about it.
How to Get Madness Ore in Skyrim
Madness Ore is one of Skyrim's rarest resources, and it won't come easily. Unlike Iron Ore, Madness Ore deposits will not replenish their resources on a cycle. If you are able to find an ore deposit, you can mine it once and only once, then you'll have to find more.
These natural ores can only be found most commonly in ruined forts of the Shivering Isles, though this is far from the ideal way to get it.
Grummites are goblin-like enemies that can be found wandering the Shivering Isles. They can be found in caves, forts, or anywhere else in the Isles, often guarding their eggs. These creatures are very fond of Madness Ore, and upon looting them, you may get lucky and find some Madness on them. Unlike ore deposits, these creatures will respawn, so you can technically farm the resource with them, though it still is rare.
Xedilian has many deposits and Grummites, and Xeddefen and the Rotten Den both have a few ore deposits as well, as does Jayred's House. These are some good starting locations to build up your Madness Ore collection early on.
Aside from those methods of obtaining it, you can also find this resource scattered throughout the world in dungeon boss chests, however this will of course require you to kill dungeon bosses, including dragons, which is no easy feat. Playing through the game naturally, you will without a doubt tackle many dungeons anyway, so you may get lucky and bag some ore.
Like glass and amber, Madness Ore can also be obtained by trading with Khajit Traders, who travel in caravans around Skyrim. Once you obtain the "Note on New Wares" after completing the first two quests of the Saints & Seducers questline, you will be able to trade with members of these caravans freely. You can find these traders traveling the world from place to place, setting up shop outside city gates for business.
Uses for Madness Ore
Madness Ore, by itself, is not very useful. In order to do anything with it, you'll first have to convert it to Madness Ingots, done by smelting it, as you would any other ore.
Before you can do this, you'll need to read Evethra's Journal, which you unlock upon completing a miscellaneous quest that you initiate by reading the "Note on Amber and Madness Ore" on Thoron's worktable, in his lair.
On top of reading the journal, you'll also need to unlock the third perk of Heavy Armor Smithing, called Ebony Smithing. This requires a minimum Smithing skill of 80. Once all of these prerequisites are met, you are free to craft away.
Madness Ingots can be used to create Madness Armor and Madness Weapons. The armor pieces all required Madness Ingots, Ebony Ingots, and Leather Strips, and most weapons require the same. The complete list of required resources for these items is listing below:
- Madness Armor: 5 Madness Ingots, 2 Ebony Ingots, 3 Leather Strips
- Madness Boots: 3 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 2 Leather Strips
- Madness Gauntlets: 2 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 2 Leather Strips
- Madness Helmet: 3 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 2 Leather Strips
- Madness Shield: 4 Madness Ingots, 2 Ebony Ingots, 1 Leather Strip
- Madness Arrows: 1 Madness Ingot, 1 Firewood
- Madness Battleaxe: 5 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 2 Strips
- Madness Bow: 3 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot
- Madness Dagger: 1 Madness Ingot, 1 Ebony Ingot, 1 Strip
- Madness Greatsword: 5 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 3 Strips
- Madness Mace: 3 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 1 Strip
- Madness War Axe: 2 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 2 Strips
- Madness Warhammer: 5 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 3 Strips
- Madness Sword: 2 Madness Ingots, 1 Ebony Ingot, 1 Strip
Now you know everything you need to know about finding and using Madness Ore in Skyrim.
- Skyrim: How to Get Firewood
- Skyrim: How to Craft & Find Daedric Armor
- Skyrim: How to Craft & Find Daedric Weapons
Those are the best weapons in Skyrim. For more Skyrim tips and tricks articles, consider clicking the links above.