Skyrim: How to Get Amber
Amber is a smithing resource in Skyrim, added as part of the Saints & Seducers creation, free with the Special Edition and Anniversary Edition of the Skyrim. Amber is used to create light armor sets that are a bit stronger than dragonscale, as well as high-quality weaponry. With this guide, you'll learn everything you need to know to obtain it.
How to Get Amber in Skyrim
You can identify amber by its brownish-orange color and egg-shaped form, and it can be found in a few different places around Skyrim.
The best place to find it has to be the Solitude Sewers in western Solitude, which remain locked to the player until the "Restoring Order" quest of the Saints & Seducers questline is completed. This quest will take you into the sewers.
Down under Solitude in the sewers, you will find a hollow Root Tunnel, part of the Shivering Isles' root system. This tunnel will be lined with trees, fungi, and will be home to many Elytra and Spriggans. Within it, there are numerous hollow tree stumps.
It's inside these tree stumps where amber is most commonly found, so be sure to loot every one you can find for this important resource.
An alternative to venturing into these sewers is to seek out the Khajit traders, from whom you can also obtain glass. These traders travel in caravans and can be encountered on the road, going from town to town. Upon reaching their destinations, they'll set up camps outside main entrances of the town for business. If you can find one of these caravans, then you can purchase some amber from them directly
Much like getting amber from the Solitude Sewers, you won't be able to buy it from traders until after you've completed "Restoring Order". You will be given the Note on New Wares by the courier after completing this quest, and that is what triggers the trade availability of this resource.
Uses for Amber
In order to be able to do anything with amber in Skyrim, you'll need to convert it into refined amber. This is done by smelting two pieces of amber, yielding one piece of refined amber each time.
In order to know how to do this, you'll need to first complete the "Amber and Madness Smithing" miscellaneous quest. This quest is initiated by reading the Note on Amber and Madness Ore, found on Thoron's worktable during the "Restoring Order" quest. You will also require Glass Smithing.
Refined amber is used to craft amber armor and weapons, most of which require moonstone and leather strips to craft. The only exceptions are Amber Arrows, which uses amber and firewood, and Amber Bows, which don't require leather. The materials required are:
- Amber Arrow: 1 Amber, 1 Firewood
- Amber Battleaxe: 4 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 2 Leather Strips
- Amber Bow: 2 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 1 Leather Strip
- Amber Dagger: 1 Amber, 1 Moonstone
- Amber Greatsword: 4 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 3 Leather Strips
- Amber Mace: 2 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 1 Leather Strip
- Amber Sword: 2 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 1 Leather Strip
- Amber War Axe: 1 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 2 Leather Strips
- Amber Warhammer: 3 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 3 Leather Strips
- Amber Armor: 4 Amber, 2 Moonstone, 3 Leather Strips
- Amber Boots: 1 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 2 Leather Strips
- Amber Gauntlets: 1 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 2 Leather Strips
- Amber Helmet: 2 Amber, 1 Moonstone, 2 Leather Strips
- Amber Shield: 3 Amber, 2 Moonstone, 1 Leather Strip
With all of that said, you should know everything you need to know about getting and using amber in Skyrim. If you're interested in learning more about Skyrim, you can do so by checking out our other content in our guides hub!