Starship Troopers: Terran Command — How to Capture Outposts
Outposts dot the landscape of Kwalasha, the mining colony where the campaign of Starship Troopers: Terran Command takes place. While some will be held by the Mobile Infantry, others have yet to be retaken. Doing so yourself confers a few boons to aid your progress. Here's our guide to help you capture outposts.
How to Capture Outposts
The outposts and radio towers in Starship Troopers: Terran Command are symbolized by shield icons on the minimap.
- White means that they're neutral or overrun by Arachnids.
- Blue means they're already in your hands.
To capture an outpost or radio tower, simply have a unit move within its radius. After a few seconds, you'll have a small base of operations. Do keep in mind that undefended outposts might get attacked by enemies, and you'll lose control of them.
Grabbing Those Bases
Technically, while there are different terms used for the bases in Starship Troopers: Terran Command, they mostly have the same core functions:
- Radio towers -- The simplest variant allows you to replenish casualties and call reinforcements (i.e., the radio tower itself acts as the recruitment panel).
- Outposts -- The location covers a medium-sized area and has similar functions as noted above. There's also a good chance that there are supply crates or special structures nearby.
- Special structures look like square plates on the ground. If you have enough War Support, you can select a building that provides different troop types. For instance, the Support Center lets you recruit Radio Operators and Combat Engineers. Meanwhile, the Command Center allows you to field Tactical Officers and Snipers.
- Forts -- These are large, defensible locations found in a select few missions. There's a good chance that the defenses are already in place and friendly forces control it.
- Fort defense is a key mechanic in some missions in the campaign. While this base is under your control, you'll be tasked with preparing defenses (i.e., Combat Engineers building turrets). You may also need to pick a special building in case a particular unit has to be recruited as part of the objectives.
- Several missions require you to fend off hordes of bugs as they swarm the outpost/base.
In a way, these are fairly streamlined base-building mechanics in Starship Troopers: Terran Command. But by capturing outposts and radio stations, you'll be one step closer to eradicating the bug hordes. For that, you'll need to understand the game's line of sight mechanics, and you'll also need to know how to reinforce losses.