Horizon Forbidden West: Where to Find All Mounts
Mounts help you get around the world of Horizon Forbidden West faster than you would on foot. Though Aloy can fast travel between more locations than she could in Horizon Zero Dawn, not all locations are accessible by that mechanic.
Since fast travel between Campfires and various points of interest can only get you so far, you may be wondering where you can find all of the mounts in HFW to make certain excursions faster. There are 4 mounts available, 3 of which are related to the main story questlines.
How to Get All Mounts in Horizon Forbidden West
These include most variants of these machines, as well. For example, the Bristlback override allows you to mount Acid and Fire variants. However, it does not allow you to mount Apex variants.
- Charger: This is the first mount you'll get. It's an optional part of The Embassy story quest, but one of the optional objectives you should definitely complete. The herd is south/southwest of Chainscrape. This mount is certainly the fastest outside of the Sunwing.
- Locations: Found everywhere but the southern desert/Stillsands area.
- Bristleback: You will receive the override for the Bristleback mount after completing Repair Bay Tau. The entry is corrupted, so you'll need to repair it at the Fabrication Terminal at The Base, unlocked during The Dying Lands story quest. This mount is a good middle-ground between the Charger and Clawstrider in terms of speed.
- Locations: Found basically everywhere except Landfall.
- Sunwing: You'll get the Sunwing mount automatically during the Gemini story quest. It's the second-to-last campaign mission, so you'll have to wait a while for this flying mount. However, it's worth it because the Sunwing is hands-down the best mount in Horizon Forbidden West.
- Locations: Found above The Base, The Shining Wastes, northern and western Stillsands, east of Thornmarsh, southwest and northeast of The Bulwark, and in northeastern Landfall.
- Clawstrider: You may find this mount override before the Gemini mission if you've been exploring. Clawstrider can be found in the Iota Cauldron in the northwestern border of the Forbidden West, just west of The Bulwark. Though Clawstriders look awesome, they're painfully slow.
- Locations: Found north of Plainsong, northwest and south of The Memorial Grove, in northwestern Forbidden West by the coast/northeast of Cauldron Kappa, northwestern and southwestern Landfall.
How to Override Mounts
Overriding a Mount is nearly the same as overriding any other machine in Horizon Forbidden West.
- Approach a mount machine via stealth and hold Triangle when prompted.
- Press Square to ride the mount after overriding it.
It's worth noting that through some skill descriptions, HFW warns that override will only last so long for mounts; eventually (and theoretically), they'll buck you and return to the wild. However, this never happened in more than 35 hours with Forbidden West.
If it does happen to you, there are skills in the Machine Master skill tree, such as Lasting Override, that prolong Override. You can also make Overriden machines deal more damage with elemental attacks and set their behaviors with some skills in this tree and found on specific outfits.
- Accelerate: X
- Brake: Circle
- Dismount: Square
- Dismount Jump: Hold and release Square
- Light Attack: R1
- Heavy Attack: R2
- Repair: Dismount and hold Triangle
How to Call a Mount
You can call a previously-overridden mount by selecting the Mount Call tool in your quick menu and pressing down on the D-Pad. This will call the last machine type used as a mount unless that machine was destroyed or for various story purposes.
You will receive a different Mount Call for the Sunwing, and you can call it from anywhere at any time, even if you already have a land mount.
And that's what you need to know if you're wondering where to find all of the mounts in Horizon Forbidden West and tame them. For more tips, check out our other guides here.