The Age of Wonders 4 Tome of Dragons provides a new group of spells and buffs that you can use. Added as part of a content pack, it ensures that your faction becomes even deadlier later in your playthroughs. Our Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn Tome of Dragons guide discusses the spells, enchantments, and transformations that you can get out of this set.
What Are the Tome of Dragon Spells in Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn
Before we talk about the Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn Tome of Dragon spells, I should note that this guide is for those who chose to play as a Lizardfolk Dragon Ruler, primarily because it’s part of the same content pack, and because of related themes. Moreover, I advise you to select Tome of Evolution for the early-game experience. As for the Tome of Dragons, you can unlock it as a tier 3 option down the line.
The Tome of Dragons has the following perks:
- +1 Nature Affinity
- +1 Chaos Affinity
- Seed of Nature — Nature research costs -20% knowledge; required for a Magic Victory.
- Seed of Chaos — Chaos research costs -20% knowledge; required for a Magic Victory.
- Special Improvement: Wyvern Eyrie — +10 knowledge; +5 draft per adjacent Farm province; unlocks production of various Wyvern units; counts as a Research Post.
- Battle Magic: Fire Bomb — Casts flames on a target, with adjacent units taking 50% of the damage; 90% chance to inflict burning and bleeding for three turns.
Below, I’ve listed the Age of Wonders 4 Tome of Dragons spells, units, and other things that you can unlock via research. I’ve also included a few tips on how some of these are used later on.
- Enchantment: Flamer Focus — Affects Battle Mage units; grants Fire Bomb.
- Spell: Purifying Flame — Affects friendlies in a 1-hex radius; +25 temporary HP; removes all negative status effects. This basically keeps your units in tip-top condition, which is an absolute necessity later in the game.
- Major Race Transformation: Draconian — Affects your entire race, turning them into Draconians. This grants them the Dragon unit type, Natural Regeneration for faster HP restoration, and immunity to the burning status effect.
- Siege Project: Dragon Attack — Defenders take fire damage and have a 90% of being afflicted with burning; randomly adds fires to the battlefield. While this might be a bit situational, it does coincide with the burning immunity that your Dragon forces gain (i.e., Draconian transformation or other effects). As such, a city engulf in flames means that hostiles will regularly take damage, while your troops are barely affected.
- Unit: Young Dragon — Allows you to field Young Fire Dragons and Young Frost Dragons. Good alignment unlocks Young Golden Dragons, while evil alignment unlocks Young Obsidian Dragons. Well, this is Dragon Dawn, so if your entire selected race is filled with scaly reptiles, then you might as well have a few more.