Acquiring a particular currency is the best way to buy a bunch of new stuff. Here’s our guide on how to use Frog Coins in Super Mario RPG.
Where to Spend Frog Coins in Super Mario RPG
You can use Frog Coins in Super Mario RPG by purchasing items from two specific vendors: one in Tadpole Pond and another in Seaside Town. Frog Coins themselves can be obtained through various means, such as defeating special enemies, completing minigames like the Land’s End Cliff Cimb, and reaching secret locations. Examples include the Belome Temple Treasure Room and the Kero Sewers Secret Chest.
Tadpole Pond Frog Coin Vendor and Items
The first time you can use Frog Coins in Super Mario RPG is when you chat with the vendor in Tadpole Pond. The vendor is found to the left of the main area, whereas Melody Bay (i.e. music puzzle) is to the right.
In any case, one of the tadpole NPCs here sells the following items that cost Frog Coins:
- Sleepy Bomb: Puts all enemies to sleep; costs one Frog Coin.
- Bracer: Raises defense in battle; costs two Frog Coins.
- Energizer: Increases attack power in battle; costs two Frog Coins.
- Party Bracer: Raises the entire party’s defense in battle; costs five Frog Coins.
- Party Energizer: Increase the entire party’s attack power in battle; costs five Frog Coins.
Seaside Town Frog Coin Vendor and Items
The other NPC that allows you to trade in your Frog Coins is the vendor in Seaside Town. I reached this area a few hours into the campaign. I had to clear the entirety of the Sunken Ship, which is one of the locations of the Seven Stars. Then, I returned to Seaside Town to eliminate the Smithy gang members pretending to be villagers. I then received the Shed Key, which I used to unlock the prison where all the villagers were imprisoned.
One of the buildings in Seaside Town has a second-floor bedroom housing this particular vendor. He sells only a couple of items.
- See Ya: Allows you to run from battles; costs 10 Frog Coins.
- Earlier Times: Lets you start a battle over; costs 15 Frog Coins.
Don’t worry about the costs of these items. You only need to purchase them once. That’s because they don’t get consumed if you use them in combat.
That’s it: that’s everything you need to know about how to use Frog Coins in Super Mario RPG. For more tips and strategies, such as how to find all Musty Fears Flags and the best bonuses for each character, you can check out our SMRPG guides hub.