New World Factions: Effects and How to Change Faction
Like with any MMORPG, New World has a ton of different choices to make, especially in the early game. The faction you choose in New World does affect a few things and it takes a long time before you can swap, so you'll need to choose wisely.
The faction you join will have a major effect on your time in the world of Aeturnum, especially if you want to take part in New World's PvP elements. There are three different factions to choose from:
- Marauders (green)
- Covenant (yellow/gold)
- Syndicate (purple)
The three different factions of New World will control different regions, and you'll get various bonuses in a region if your faction controls it, like boosts in crafting or receiving extra loot from dead enemies. With all of that in mind, here's how to decide which faction to pick in New World.
New World Factions Explained
While factions controlling a region can influence the bonuses you get, the actual factions themselves don't have any major differences. You won't be able to pick a faction until you reach level 10, but just follow the main story and it'll guide you through the process of picking a faction.
A small factor in choosing a faction may come down to whichever one's goals you align with the most. Here's how the game describes each before we jump into other factors.
- Marauders — A ruthless military force hell-bent on establishing a free nation where anyone with the strength to do so can prosper and profit.
- Covenant — A divine order charged with cleansing the land of heretics and defilers so that its true holy nature and justice can be restored.
- Syndicate — A secretive organization of boundless guile and intellect in search of forbidden knowledge to usher in a new age of enlightenment.
As you choose a faction you'll want to keep a couple of things in mind: which one controls the most of the map, and which one your friends are in.
Companies/guilds are tied to Factions, so if you want to be in a Company with your friends make sure you all join the same Faction. Even if you don't want to join a Company together, if your friends are in other factions you'll find yourself facing them in the game's PvP and siege battles.
Once you've joined a Faction you'll unlock one of the major features of New World, Faction Missions. By talking to a Faction Representative in any settlement you can take on up to six Faction Missions at any time.
When looking at the mission board you'll see three PvE missions and three PvP missions. Keep in mind that taking PvP missions will flag you after you leave the settlement, and open you up to being attacked by players of opposing Factions.
You'll absolutely want to complete Faction Missions while adventuring through New World, as they reward you with both gold and Faction Tokens that you can redeem for special equipment and items.
How to Change Your Faction in New World
Joining a Faction in New World doesn't mean it has to be permanent, but there is one major catch. You won't be able to change your Faction for 120 days after picking one, but after that time is up you'll want to open your character menu by hitting "K," and then go to your character's "Bio."
There you'll see your Faction's banner with a button to change it just below. It does, however, cost 100 Azoth to change Factions, which is a valuable resource also used for fast travel.
That should be everything you need to know about joining a Faction and making the most of your time in Aeturnum.
Check out our other New World guides on GameSkinny:
- New World Best Weapons Tier List
- New World Black Screen Fix
- New World Fiber Farming Guide
- New World Iron Ore Farming Guide
- New World Lag Detected Fix
- New World Connection Error Fix
- New World Petalcaps Farming Guide
- New World Fae Iron Farming Guide
- New World Territory Standing Overview
- New World Petrified Wood Farming Guide
- New World Trial of the Gladiator Guide